InfoTips with mp3 tag contents for my USB PEN - How? RRS feed

• Question

• I love using InfoTips to check the contents of the Id3Tag of the MP3 files on my Windows 7 laptop.

They let me keep Windows Explorer in LIST VIEW and hover the mouse over the file icon so I can see the tag info and know who is the artist etc.

This works fine on all the disks I attach to my laptop BUT when I connect my USB PEN drive (MP3 player) the InfoTips - though they still pop - up - contain only the unspecific file information such as FileType, FileSize and Last-Modified.

How can I get the same Music Tag info to popUp for my removable USB device ?

It has to be formated FAT32 not NTFS as my other disks are.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:30 PM

Answers

• Solved ! - for me at least.

used RegEdit to

edit the the following REG_SZ string names QuickTip under:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

as it looks like this:

prop:System.Title;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Media.Year;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.Comment;System.Media.Duration;System.ItemTypeText;System.Size;System.DateModified

Auto-thanks!

• Marked as answer by Forget Itt Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:48 AM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try third party software like TagScanner.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability

Good luck!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:55 AM
  • thanks Magon Liu   but TagScanner doesn't seem to include InfoTips in its feature list.

Back in Win-XP I got nice InfoTips  - even on the USB pen - using  MP3-Info- extension but it doesn't work at all in Win 7.

Shame the native Win 7 explorer hasn't maintained attention to detail - But not surprising, I guess,  having read other threads in this forum!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Solved ! - for me at least.

used RegEdit to

edit the the following REG_SZ string names QuickTip under:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

as it looks like this:

prop:System.Title;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Media.Year;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.Comment;System.Media.Duration;System.ItemTypeText;System.Size;System.DateModified

Auto-thanks!

• Marked as answer by Forget Itt Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:48 AM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:48 AM
  • I am glad it is resolved. This information can be helpful when others encounter similar issue. Thank you for feedback.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:57 AM