Set Adobe reader XI by default, but let the users choose their own PDF if they want to change it. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you in advance for taking time to read my question.

As described in the title, we'd like to set by default Adobe Reader XI (or DC if necessary) for everyone. Users may be able to change the default software whenever they want, for Adobe Pro for exemple.

I tried to make it possible through the registry, with some keys in HKCU-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Explorer-FileExts but then the files dont open with Adobe reader and got stuck with Edge.

If i configure Adobe Reader XI in the DefaultAppAssociation, then the user won't be able to change his default program, or it will be back to Reader XI when rebooting.

Has anyone already sovled this issue ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could consider deploy a logon script run once.

Here is a example for you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/343b91da-e9e2-422d-800d-639caba22566/runonce-deploy-via-group-policy-only-on-first-logon?forum=w8itproinstall

In addition, the location is under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I actually did quiet the same for Windows 8 and 8.1. The problem now is that i did not find a proper way to change the file association in Windows 10, even by exporting the Reg files from when Adobe Reader was set... thats how i did : 

Tracing key that changed thanks to RegShot

Configuring ARXI by defaut -> Exporting the registry keys

Configuring Edge by defaut -> importing the keys

Trying opening a .pdf file -> it asks which software i want to use to read pdf files...

Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my trace, it change the following registry value:(change the Microsoft Edge to PDF Reader )

KU\S-1-5-21-*\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList\MRUList: "ab"
    HKU\S-1-5-21-*\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList\MRUList: "ba"
    HKU\S-1-5-21-*\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice\Hash: "jCwUCdPStf4="
    HKU\S-1-5-21-*\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice\Hash: "1h5MdQd4UyE="
    HKU\S-1-5-21-*\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice\ProgId: "AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723"
    HKU\S-1-5-21-*\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice\ProgId: "AcroExch.Document.DC"

Here please check if you have a and b key before you import the registry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Those are the key I'm trying to modify except that I'm doing it in HKCU instead of HKU (in my opinion this is cleaner, isn't it ?!).

Here's the reg file I use to set ARXI by default :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList]
    "a"="AcroRd32.exe"
    "MRUList"="ab"
    "b"="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithProgids]
    "AcroExch.Document.11"=hex(0):
    "pdf_auto_file"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice]
    "Progid"="pdf_auto_file"
    "Hash"="Xmpl4dYQmkQ="

When I reboot the computer with the reg keys of ARXI, theres a message saying "there was a problem configuring your PDF, and it has been reset.

The problem appears on the Windows 10 OS (sorry I forgot to mention this before).

In the application log, nothing special appears..

Thank you again for your help.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi Any,

I have operated under HKCU, it works fine on my Windows 10 1067 lab machine.

I export the whole .pdf registry entry below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf

And then import it.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Hi Karen_Hu,

Thank you for your reply. It still doesnt work but we're not on the 1511 build yet.

We are planning to upgrade soon so we will try again with those settings.

Anyway, thank you for you help !

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:13 PM
  • Hi Karen_Hu,

Thank you for your reply. It still doesnt work but we're not on the 1511 build yet.

We are planning to upgrade soon so we will try again with those settings.

Anyway, thank you for you help !

Ok, Hope it works fine on your new build.

Any other question, feel free to ask here.

Friday, November 25, 2016 9:01 AM