Upper Line for a character RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

MS-Word does provide the underline feature. In the similar way, is there a possibility to insert single vertical stroke as well as double vertical stoke on the top f each character as mentioned below.

Note the highlighted text

For the record, the inserted image is from a Telugu language manual. Please help me with your thoughts (or) recommendations to accomplish these strokes.

Thanks for reading

Every thing is perfect as long as you share

• Moved by Chenchen Li Monday, November 21, 2016 6:59 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 2:46 PM

All replies

• Try the following:

• Make sure that NumLock is on.
    • Type a letter.
    • Press Alt+781 for a single vertical line above, or Alt+782 for a double vertical line above, using the digits on the numeric keypad.
    • Alternatively, type 030D in the document, then press Alt+X for a single vertical line above.
    • Similar for a double vertical line above, but with 030E.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Chakravarthy Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:39 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

This forum(Word for Developers) is for developer discussions and questions involving Microsoft Word, like developing issues related with Word Object model.

Since your issue is more related to Word Product, I would move this thread into the following forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=word

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi Chakravarthy,

Please check if Hans's suggestion is helpful to your situation.

If you need further assistance on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. But, the challenge is towards making this automated way, through C# program.

Thus, please help me with the mechanism for identifying the same as either ASCII or any

Regards,

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:19 AM
  • I hope somebody else can help you with that, I don't speak C#. Sorry.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for alerting me. But, surprisingly, I couldn't find a specific forum for Word alone. Apart of that, my interest is to have some information for the developers, not for content writers.

I would like to understand how can I make the automation for the given steps by Hans.

Regards,

Monday, November 28, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Hi Chakravarthy,

If you want to make the automation for the given steps by Hans, you may try to record a macro when manually doing this. Then, you can consider to convert the recording script to C#. I have tried recording the process and here is the recorded macro:

Selection.TypeText Text:="text"
        Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
    Selection.TypeText Text:=ChrW(781)

We thought you wanted to do this manually so your question was moved to our forum, which is for general questions and feedback related to Microsoft Word. If you want to automate the process via C#, the Word for Developers forum is dedicated to your request. I'd recommend you post a new question to the Word for Developers forum, or if you like, I can help move the thread back to the Word for Developers forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

I have tried the mentioned. I have got the result as displayed in the first line of the below image. Please note the long vertical line that has the double lines at the top. All I want is, from the second line.

Will that be a possibility?

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:45 PM
  • Tossing in an idea from old tech.

Might the Advance Field be able to assist with this?
    https://support.microsoft.com/office/field-codes-advance-field-6379bd1b-49be-4c85-95e6-f42b44ab0e70

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:13 PM
  • Well, guess that you have not given attention to the position of " .. they are not appearing on top of the Char, but, next to the char as superscript.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:37 PM
  • Well, guess that you have not given attention to the position of " .. they are not appearing on top of the Char, but, next to the char as superscript.

The Advance field lets you put characters on top of each other.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:31 PM