none
Project Server 2010 Build Team - Filtering on RBS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When building a team from enterprise resource pool, when I have permission to a large number of resources, I get the below dialog prior to the "Build Team from Enterprise" dialog. 

1. What is the minimum number of available resources that results in getting this dialog? Can this minimum be changes so I will always get this dialog?

2. Let's say I have an RBS with 4 levels (let's say: company, division, department, team). I want to have all the resources in Division 2. If I filter for resources that their RBS is division 2 I get only the manager of the division. If I filter with "contains" or "begins with" I get all the resources. Is there a way to get what I want? 

Regards

Barak

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Barak,

For your first question, the pre-filter dialog box appears as soon as you have more than 1000 resources in the enterprise resource pool. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent from having this dialog box if you have more than 1000 resources.

for your second question, if you specify in your "RBS contains" test the RBS branch, it will return the resource at the branch level (manager) + the resources in the branch (team members). Resources with a blank RBS will not show up.

Then if you need more elaborated filtering, I'd suggest to create custom filter in the "build team from enterprise" dialog box, which gives you more options, including saving your custom filter.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Barak _ Bester Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:27 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 1:57 PM

All replies

• 1.MS project doesnt have any limit for this. Once you put the filter condition and click on  OK it will give you all the resources which will full fill the condition.

2. If you have RBS of level 4 and you want all the resources of level 2 then you have to give condition 

Field Name    Test          Value

RBS               Equals      Company.devision

Once you put this you will get all the resource which will have RBS of Company.Devision

If you will put

Field Name    Test          Value

RBS               Contains    Company.devision

then you will get all resources which will contain this value it means even user who has Company.devision.Department.Test they will also come.

Same is for begain with condition

Hence i advice is to use Equal condition which will give you accurate result 

kirtesh

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

I am interested in getting also the Company.Division.Department.Test resources.

However, testing the Begins With and Contains option - it doesn't work as expected, but brings all resources (including those with Company as RBS and those with a blank RBS)

Regards,

Barak 

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Normally it doesnt give you resources who are not having RBS please check if you using multiple filter in custom field filter or checked in resource name and have some value.

kirtesh

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Hi Barak,

For your first question, the pre-filter dialog box appears as soon as you have more than 1000 resources in the enterprise resource pool. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent from having this dialog box if you have more than 1000 resources.

for your second question, if you specify in your "RBS contains" test the RBS branch, it will return the resource at the branch level (manager) + the resources in the branch (team members). Resources with a blank RBS will not show up.

Then if you need more elaborated filtering, I'd suggest to create custom filter in the "build team from enterprise" dialog box, which gives you more options, including saving your custom filter.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Barak _ Bester Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:27 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

Note the screenshots below and in the next reply (I used the count button).

Division 2 has 2 resources in directly, 10 resources in its Department 4  and 1 resource in its department 5, total is 13.

On the last screenshot you see that the filter "Begins with Division 2" yields 2587 resources which are the entire resource pool.

You also see what I marked and what didn't.

Barak

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Additional screenshots...

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I have 2 consecutive replies.

It's in the second one (just above yours).

Barak  

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:24 PM
  • when you are using RBS equals division 2 it is gving you 2 resources it means you have 2 resource in your project server who are having their RBS exactly division 2.

when you are using RBS equals division 2.dep 4  it is gving you 10 resources it means you have 10 resourcein your project server who are having their RBS exactly division 2.dep 4 nothing less or more

when you are using RBS equals division 2.dep 5  it is gving you 1 resources it means you have 1 resource in your project server who are having their RBS exactly division 2.dep 5 nothing less or more.

when you are using RBS begins with division2.dep5 then it is counting all the resource whom rbs starts from  division2.dep5 . it means it is also counting  division2.dep5.dep6 and division2.dep5.dep7 so on

that is why it is giving 2587 resources

if you will put RBS begins with division2 then  it will give you count of all the resources which will have rbs as

division2, division2.dep1,division2.dep2,division2.dep3,division2.dep4,division2.dep5,division2.dep6 etc.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Friday, December 20, 2013 2:28 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Hi Barak,

In the value field, do you type the RBS value or do you pick it up in the lookup table?

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Kirtesh - there are no subdivisions other than I mentioned. There is only Division 1 with its own 3 departments.

Guillaume  - I pick the value from the lookup. This is the desired functionality. The customer wouldn't like to type.

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Your resource count will not take value form Division 1 as you have mentioned every where division 2.

Also in value field please dont give manual value it will automatically give value if you click on drop down then you choose the value and click on ok and see the count.

kirtesh

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:34 PM
  • My resource count is not supposed to take from division 1, but it does. 2587 is my entire resource pool (trust me...).

I don't give manual values.

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:37 PM
  • BTW, this was found out at a customer site and reproduced in our own environments.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Hi Barak,

If you start from scratch opening the prefilter dialog box and entering the test "RBS begins with Division 2.dept 5" than apply, what does it return in the main build team dialog box?

I've experienced strange behavior when you do many prefilter at a time.

Hope this helps.

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Could you please close the project file. reopen it then again try to use filter begins with and then tell us the count of resources.

kirtesh

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:41 PM
  • The begins with gives 2587 whatsoever.

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Could you please check the count of resources in resource center in PWA. Please put all the same condition which you are trying in MPP and check it.

kirtesh

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Total count is 2587.

RBS Equals <above values> gives the same result

RBS Begins With or Contains results in a message "One or more are invalid"

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Could you please open all the resources in MPP(Microsoft Project professional) .

to do this go to resource center select all the resources then click on Open in MPP once all the resources will be in MPP,add new column RBS then check the number of resources for each RBS and let us know the number with respect to specific RBS.

kirtesh

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:27 AM
  • The numbers that I expect to see are accurate.

This is double-checked and cross-checked.

There are 2 resources with RBS equals Division 2

10 resources with RBS equals Division 2.Dep4

1 Resource on Division2.Dep5

24 resources on the different levels of Division 1

2550 Resources with blank RBS

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Barak,

Your MPP and Project server both are working proper and not having any issue.

I have tested It and found that Begin with is not a correct filter to use as Begin with is only filter which give count of all the resource available in the server. I have tested it on SQL,Excel and MPP.

As MPP behaves like Excel when tested in both for Begin with filter for values found the count for all the resources .

For try you can create 20 resource and check count in excel  and then you will understand why it is giving 2587 when you use begin with filter. 

As i have already mentioned use equal filter for RBS which will give correct Result.

kirtesh

• Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:20 AM
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:56 AM