none
the option "make available offline" not available in build 1511

Question

• Hello,

I have upgraded to windows 10 enterprise build 1511.

Unfortunately it seems that the right-click menu option "make available offline", is not available anymore.

As a result you cannot activate offline mode on a share as the option is not visible/available.

It is possible to use "make available offline" on a windows 7 client for the same share and server, so it must be related to windows 10.

The offline sync service is running correctly:

PS V:\> get-service *csc*
    Status   Name               DisplayName
    ------   ----               -----------
    Running  CscService         Offline Files

The caching mode on the windows 2012 r2 server share is activated and works correctly, as mentioned previously, it does currently work without any problems on our windows7 clients.

It looks like this is bound to the windows 10 enterprise build 1511.

Does anyone have any clue or ideas?

Thanks a lot

Didier!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tried to share a folder from my Windows server 2012 R2, and when accessing on my client PC with 1511 installed, I have the item of Available offline:

I am not sure what you mean about this option is not available, is it missing or gray out or not  working as we expected?

If it just missing, please check if there is any GP below configured on your computer:

Otherwise, if it doesn't work as we expected, please try to reset csc to check this issue.

In addition, check if there is any sync partnership available to set up:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:31 AM
  • Thanks a lot for replying!

Indeed I can confirm that in another test environnement with build 1511, "without" the PC being added to our "AD", the option "make available offline" is available.

This seems to be related to our environnement, let me give you more details.

The option is missing on all our win10 1511 clients: Missing

We also didn't change both group policy settings you mentionned:

This is what the sync parnership is showing:

Just in case, I also tried to use dism ... but it didn't help:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Here is a screenshot from the same pc running vmware and win7 as guest host with AD integration. I'm using the same AD account as seen in the previous screenshots. You can see that the "make available offline" option is visible in windows 7 here:

• Edited by ddalu Monday, November 23, 2015 11:23 AM add vmware windows 7 screenshot
    Monday, November 23, 2015 9:37 AM
  • I can confirm the problem. A few instances of Windows 10 Enterprise build 1511 connected to AD - all of them have missing "Always Available Offline" option. Some machines have been upgraded from Windows 8.1 and some of them are clean 1511 installations.

Computers with Windows 10 build 1240 or Windows 8.1 in the same domain, using the same user do have it and you can sync network files to your local disk.

Any ideas to solve the problem?
    • Edited by SzymonO Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:01 AM
  • No ... unfortunately ... nothing new.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Hello any news about this bug in 1511 build ? the same situation we have too, build 10240 offline folders option available, build 10586 no offline folder option is available.

Downgrade is not an option for fix...

Thursday, December 03, 2015 10:44 PM
  • We have the same situation with all our Windows 10 build 1511 up to the latest patches . I am gladd that i found this article because i was starting to go insane about this problem. Strange that i cannot find any more information about this bug, we cannot roll out Windows 10 1511 at this moment!
    Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Exact same issue, has there been any further information?

Thanks for the post.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:12 PM
  • I think the problem is related to build 1511 and "windows 2012 R2" CLUSTERS.

Does anyone here have the problem on a different server version (windows 2008, windows 2008 r2, windows 2012)?

Are you using Clusters too?

f.ex. I'm using build 1511 at home (the laptop is not in a DOMAIN) and it has the "make available offline" option "available" on  the samba server, so it does work here.

Here is build 1511 in our domain, with different servers all running windows 2012 r2.

This first mapping is on windows 10 build 1511, it shows that "make available offline" is available. This is a standard windows 2012 R2 server running in our domain:

Here is the same windows 10 build 1511, with another mapping where "make available offline" is not available, this is a Windows 2012 R2 "CLUSTER":

The "make available offline" on the (cluster) server is available for any other windows client (windows 7, windows 8 etc) and pre windows 10 1511 builds ... So this must be related to the 1511 build.

• Edited by ddalu Friday, December 18, 2015 8:19 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Is the share hosted on the file cluster -which doesn't have the available offline option-  marked as continuously available ?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/clausjor/archive/2012/06/07/smb-transparent-failover-making-file-shares-continuously-available.aspx

Regards,

http://blogs.technet.com/platformtr

Friday, December 18, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Hello,

Yes the feature is activated on the cluster:

ContinuouslyAvailable: True

This seems to be the problem with win10 build 1511 .... having "ContinuouslyAvailable: True" on/activated on the cluster share.

I created a test lab this morning with a cluster, having 2 different shares (same storage, directory etc)

1) Share1 has "ContinuouslyAvailable: True"

If option is activated, you cannot use "make available offline"

2) Share2 has "ContinuouslyAvailable: False"

Everything is fine, "make available offline" is ok!

This sounds like there is an SMB Problem in the build 1511 network stack.

• Edited by ddalu Monday, December 21, 2015 2:06 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2015 1:19 PM
  • This is by design. CA ( continuously available ) feature was never designed for general file shares - with high number meta data operations - but for enterprise application data ( such as SQL, Hyper-V ).  With the 1511 update this option was removed.

The alternative is to disable the continuously available feature on the shares which will be used for CSC ( offline files ) feature, or you can use the Work folders as a replacement.

Regards

http://blogs.technet.com/platformtr

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Hi All, 

Just stumbled upon this problem my self...upgraded to the latest Windows 10 and all of sudden offline files stopped working. All of the OSes works fine except Win 10 1511

@Kutlay

Really? This is by design? I thought ONLY scaled our file server cluster is not meant for high number of meta data operations, but a general cluster file server is totally OK. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2013/12/05/to-scale-out-or-not-to-scale-out-that-is-the-question.aspx

Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:48 AM
  • @ Kutlay Aslan

So from build 1511 are you saying that the following configuration on a clustered file servers share is invalid?

I'm currently investigating why a Windows 10 tablet in our organisation is unable to see/use the "Always available offline" feature.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 3:27 PM
  • @Jason

If you uncheck "Enable Continuous availability", then offline feature will work. 

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 9:48 PM