none
How timesheet actuals affect PLANNED hours on the plan (MS Project 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• We plan resource time each month by task in the resource usage view.  These are just that - a PLAN.   We do NOT want those planned hours to move out into the future if actuals via the timesheets come in less than planed for the month.  What exactly should we set the tasks to (fixed duration, non-effort driven for example) so that the planned hours stay intact (i.e. If I planned 80 hours for John Doe in April and actuals came in at 60) do not "push" the 20 hours into the future months.  We want one consistent approach as plans are plans and they are set for every month.  Thanks in advance!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:54 PM

All replies

• I'd suggest you just take a baseline of the forecast work.  Then refer to the baseline as your plan.

The forecast is always going to shift based on the logic of the schedule.  You might try manual tasks (if you're using 2010 or later), but I'm not sure that would fit the bill either.

Optionally, have the resources reduce the Remaining Work for the task at the end of the month as well.  That would also track the correct actuals, close out the task, and allow you to compare to the baseline plan.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:45 AM