Change ssmypics.scr Default folder location for all users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

This should be a simple thing, but apparently it's not. I have seen everything from logon script suggestions to registry changes to GPO's. None of which has worked so far.

Here's what I need to do and I'm hoping someone can give me a difinitive on answer how to do it.

The company wants to change all users to have the ssmypics.scr screensaver as their default screen saver. They also want the default directory changed from C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Documents\My Pictures to a mapped network drive (U:\PICS).

Info:

Windows XP Pro SP3

Users do not have the ability to modify HKCU in the registry.

ssmypics.scr is already the default screen saver although logged in as a user or an adminstrator the key does not exist in the registry or at least not where it's supposed to be (HKCU\Control Panel\) and does not exist in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\ either.

When manually adding the keys to these locations, it will work as and administrator, but how to do this for ALL my users is the question.

How can I modify this for all users by LOCAL GPO, script, or Registry.

I appreciate any help that can be provided. I cannot believe something so simple seems to be so difficult. I would appreciate if someone came up with some simple solution to make me look stupid. That would mean it was very simple and I'm ok with with that! If it's complicated, that's fine too, because then I can feel good about not finding it so easily.

Mike

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:05 PM

All replies

• For the screensaver, the policy is located at:

Local Computer Policy/User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display,

and the setting is: "Screen saver executable name".

I hope this helps.  I've used this successfully in the way you describe, only in a domain setup.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:45 PM
  • This is fine for setting the screensaver executable, but from what I can see there is no where I can change the default folder that the screensaver points to when pulling the images for the screen saver. Do you have any advice where that setting might be and a method to set it for all users of a machine?

Thank you,

Mike

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Just put the full UNC path in the screensaver executable name field, e.g.:

\\server1\sharedss\myscreensaver.scr

Note, the screensaver must be in an .scr format.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this, or did you have to manually add the registry key on each workstation?

Thanks in advance,

BK

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Are you talk XP or windows 7?
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:15 PM
  • In the registry of the computer.

In the .default user of the Hkey_User, in Screen Saver.Slideshow make a string value(REG_SZ) called ImageDirectory the data for this should be the folder that yhou save your pictures. Example: c:\screenpicture

Do the same in the currect_user Hkey

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:26 PM