The source directory does not exist after removing updates from package RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I removed some updates from a software update group/deployment package which related to Itanium architecture which I had intended to exclude and I didn't notice initially that they were included (because apparently SCCM was incapable of filtering on more than one word but that's another issue).

Once they were removed I elected to update distribution points thinking nothing has changed with the updates I want to keep, so the system should just sync the removal of the updates I didn't want anymore from the other DPs. Now each package I removed Itanium updates from is failing to sync with log errors such as "The source directory \\Server01\DeploymentShare\Patching\2017 Q1 All Updates\beada5bd-41af-4680-9a76-61929a084809 doesn't exist or the SMS service cannot access it, Win32 last error = 5"

I have checked and the folder does exist and there are permissions which would allow Everyone to read and modify it. There are other possibilities listed in another log message below but I don't believe any are accurate because each package affected after I removed unwanted updates were all synced successfully before the Itanium update removal:

"Distribution Manager failed to process package "2017 Q1 All Updates" (package ID = XXX0011F).

Possible cause: Distribution Manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point.
    Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.
    Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point.
    Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files that might be in use by an active process.
    Solution: Close any processes that maybe using files in the source directory.  If this failure persists, create an alternate copy of the source directory and update the package source to point to it."

I'm wondering if it is normal for SCCM to have a heart attack from just removing some updates from a package. Maybe I can assess that once I can get this problem sorted.

Thanks for any info

• Edited by R-X Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:06 PM Readability
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:37 PM

Answers

• Error code 5 = "Access Denied"

Did you check both NTFS and share permissions? Did you validate that your AV software doesn't have the file locked?

As for Itanium updates, simply decline them directly in WSUS and never worry about them in ConfigMgr again. It is capable of filtering on multiple words though.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by R-X Sunday, July 16, 2017 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Hi Jason and Moderator,
    Thanks for the suggestions... It was very late when I resorted to posting about it and I had only just found the entry that said "Win32 last error = 5" since there were 3 different messages about the issue in 3 different places.

Today after reading articles/threads about that  text I still couldn't resolve it because it appeared the access was in place. I verified this by accessing the location both as System (using the same article from Moderator's 2nd link above) and as the SMS service account. I tried adding more access but when that made no difference I reverted the additional access.

In the end I tried a reboot and distribution started working when the system started up again which suggests something had a lock on folders or files from each modified package. It also indicates that since the packages distributed OK in the 1st place the same permissions would have been used and were in place.

Thanks Jason for the idea of declining the Itanium stuff through WSUS which I will look into. I'm interested to know how to filter on multiple words because I tested by using 2 words in 1 Title filter then by adding Title twice as a filter for the 2 words but that seemed to only work with an OR operator hence matching all items in the list I was trying to filter using "does not contain". I will search more for any relevant syntax.

Also would you have a moment to have a look at my recent thread regarding ADR's and update package size?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e8770f68-a74c-41ad-8600-34925c759d9e/sccm-update-adrs-and-product-selection

Thanks again
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies

• Error code 5 = "Access Denied"

Did you check both NTFS and share permissions? Did you validate that your AV software doesn't have the file locked?

As for Itanium updates, simply decline them directly in WSUS and never worry about them in ConfigMgr again. It is capable of filtering on multiple words though.

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:34 PM
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 7:59 PM
  • How did you delete the updates from the deployment package? Have you already removed them from software update groups with available deployments?

Please read below for similar issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/3187dc76-1536-4614-bf07-247e5cd42503/the-source-directory-doesnt-exist-or-the-sms-service-cannot-access-it-win32-last-error-5?forum=configmgrgeneral

http://eskonr.com/2016/11/sccm-configmgr-the-source-directory-doesnt-exist-or-the-sms-service-cannot-access-it-win32-last-error-5/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:36 PM
  • Hi Jason and Moderator,
    Thanks for the suggestions... It was very late when I resorted to posting about it and I had only just found the entry that said "Win32 last error = 5" since there were 3 different messages about the issue in 3 different places.

Today after reading articles/threads about that  text I still couldn't resolve it because it appeared the access was in place. I verified this by accessing the location both as System (using the same article from Moderator's 2nd link above) and as the SMS service account. I tried adding more access but when that made no difference I reverted the additional access.

In the end I tried a reboot and distribution started working when the system started up again which suggests something had a lock on folders or files from each modified package. It also indicates that since the packages distributed OK in the 1st place the same permissions would have been used and were in place.

Thanks Jason for the idea of declining the Itanium stuff through WSUS which I will look into. I'm interested to know how to filter on multiple words because I tested by using 2 words in 1 Title filter then by adding Title twice as a filter for the 2 words but that seemed to only work with an OR operator hence matching all items in the list I was trying to filter using "does not contain". I will search more for any relevant syntax.

Also would you have a moment to have a look at my recent thread regarding ADR's and update package size?
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e8770f68-a74c-41ad-8600-34925c759d9e/sccm-update-adrs-and-product-selection

Thanks again
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:02 PM
  • A couple of comments: I have a script on my blog that will decline Itnaium updates at https://home.configmgrftw.com/wsus-cleanup-for-configmgr/

Also, there is no such thing as an SMS service account so not sure what you granted permissions to for that. 

Friday, July 14, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Thanks,
    I'll take a look. The SMS account reference was from one of the log entries when the package modifications were failing to distribute but as there have been so many entries since the distribution resumed after the reboot I can no longer find it. It's how I found what account to test access to the specified folder as. When it didn't resolve the problem I reverted any extra access I had granted.

Now to work on filtering multiple terms, working out what's making my 2017 Q2 package so big and making some use of ADRs :)

Friday, July 14, 2017 5:29 AM
  • ConfigMgr uses the local System account to run all of its services and carry out nearly all of its site activities. When performing network activities, the local System account "translates" to the AD computer account of the system -- the site server in this case. Thus, you could loosely call the local System account a service account but it is in no way a separate or discrete account in AD that you create.

Friday, July 14, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Thanks for the info, I have marked you post regarding files being locked as an answer. Would you have time to glance at my other thread above re: Q2 update package size and ADRs? Any input much appreciated.
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 2:13 PM