Hyper-V 2 Graphics cards RRS feed

• Question

• OT:Ok, so we use Hyper-V for our development servers in the Data Centre. It's great, no real questions about that (except we're looking forward to R2, esp. if it means faster non-Suse linux ethernet drivers).

But at home. Ok yeah, a bit geeky, bit I've got a nice shiney Mac Pro with one graphics card in. I was wondering if I installed another graphics card, could a Hyper-V guest machine use that second graphics card with acceleration etc. as if it were running bare metal too ?

Bit of a long shot, but it would be really interesting from an experimental point of view if it were possible?

Any thoughts?
    Monday, February 9, 2009 11:53 PM

Answers

• Well, it is not possible to assign graphics cards to Hyper-V virtual machines, so, unfortunately, you are not going to be able to utilize your new and improved graphics card in the VM

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Soumya. Hyper-V is not support to use the graphics card directly. If you want to get a better resolution or display, you can use Remote Desktop to the virtual machine.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:32 AM

All replies

• Well, it is not possible to assign graphics cards to Hyper-V virtual machines, so, unfortunately, you are not going to be able to utilize your new and improved graphics card in the VM

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Soumya. Hyper-V is not support to use the graphics card directly. If you want to get a better resolution or display, you can use Remote Desktop to the virtual machine.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Ok, thanks for the definitive answer.

Looking forward to the day that happens, even if it's not what Hyper-V was designed for. Remote Desktop's great but it was the 3D acceleration which was preferred.

Thanks anyway.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Is there any way i can use my server 8 machine with graphics card for connecting to monitor. Now its not detecting the monitor.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y460P 

Intel i7 2630

8 GB RAM

120 GB SSD

Windows Server 8 

Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:59 PM