none
MV Group Rename vs. New Group / Disconnected Old Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to know how to configure FIM to rename a group, instead of creating a new one with the new name and disconnecting the old one.  I don't see any options for configuring that in the import process.  The group names are unique and I consider them anchor attributes.

The group names are controlled via a system that bases them on JobCode and locations.  If one of these attributes change, the group name also changes.  Right now, when that change happens, the import/sync process creates a new group and leaves the old one in the MV, but disconnected.  I need to actually rename the MV group.

Greg Wilkerson

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

First of all, just to clear, by name you meant "Group Display Name". If Yes, then yes you can update that by sending value of Display Name attribute By sending it "without Initial Flow".

Thanks~ Giriraj Singh Bhamu

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:23 PM
  • Giriraj,

After reading this, I think I need to clarify a few things.  I'm using a SQL Server MA that's connected to staged HR data.  These changes happen at that level.  The MA import stages those changes into the CS.  That name attribute translates to the cn, the cn part of the distinguishedName, the sAMAccountName and the name attributes in AD. All three attributes will contain the same value.

The existing set of IDM drivers (we want to replace them with FIM) use an "old-value/new-value" paradigm.  That gives me something to look for and complete the rename.

I don't see the initial flow options as part of the SQL Server MA.  And, I'm using rules extensions for all the processes. 

I suppose I could implement the oldname/newname in the staged area and use code in the MapAttributesForJoin method to join it to the old one.  I'll need to test that.  Hmm....

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:31 PM
  • In this case you can use following steps:

• Just populate two attributes as you said one is New Name and another is Old Name.
    • Keep Old Name unchanged and put updates into New Name attribute only.
    • Now, as Old Name attribute is not changing use it as an Anchor attribute.
    • Use New Name attribute to populate cn, sAMAccountName and cn part of DN.

This way, you do not have to do any customization or codes. 

I hope this will help you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

If this helps you please mark it as Helpful/Answer.

• Edited by GirirajSingh Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:39 PM Improved
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Giriraj,

Well, I tried the oldname / newname method.  My issue, something I forgot about, is that I need to get to this before it gets into the connector space.  I can't do that with a SQL Server MA.  I'm probably going to need to use an ECMA2 MA.  As for codes and specialization, I have everything in extension code.  Our implementation is more complex than the "out of the box" MA allow.  Once I opened that door, the decision was made to move everything into extension code.  I don't want rules in more that one place. 

Stay tuned......  More to come.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Is it possible to generate some kind of guid/unique value and use that as your anchor column? 
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:52 PM
  • Cameron,

I like that; don't know why I didn't think of it.  That should take care of the source-to-cs re-naming issue. 

I need to noodle on that some more; look for holes.  But, first impressions are good.

Thanks.

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:04 AM
  • Cameron,

That worked fine.  I can rename groups.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:03 PM