Vista freeezes randomly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I am running Windows Vista on a year old PC with Core i7 - 920, 4GB DDR3 RAM and ATI Radeon graphics adapter. Now, the problem I am having is that even during normal operations like browsing the web, the computer freezes up. For a while (about 5 seconds), I can switch between windows with Alt+Tab, but cannot do ought else and then, it freezes up totally. Thus, a hard reboot is required.

PC worked fine until about a month ago.

I have run MemTestx86 on it for several passes and there were no errors recovered.

Monday, May 3, 2010 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In my opinion it may be a CPU cooling problem (overheating), however it can be a HDD error as well.

What I can suggest is:

1. run scan disk tool, which can be run from CMD (Command Prompt) chkdsk /f /r

2. Boot up PC from Vista installation DVD and when you reach the install Windows screen click repair your computer and then choose - Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Soon it is finished you can go back to the Repair Screen and click Command Prompt to run chkdsk /f /r.

Both will gove a clue whether it is a RAM or HDD. If the tools found nothing, check either CPU and graphic card fans and inspect the PC cooling system.

I am sure that the motherboard's BIOS include a CPU tempetare control which you can check an make sure that is on recommended level.

If you however found nothing to worry about CPU and other components you may start investigate whether Vista Services or other applications don't cause issue.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    • Marked as answer by vkocjancic Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:23 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In my opinion it may be a CPU cooling problem (overheating), however it can be a HDD error as well.

What I can suggest is:

1. run scan disk tool, which can be run from CMD (Command Prompt) chkdsk /f /r

2. Boot up PC from Vista installation DVD and when you reach the install Windows screen click repair your computer and then choose - Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Soon it is finished you can go back to the Repair Screen and click Command Prompt to run chkdsk /f /r.

Both will gove a clue whether it is a RAM or HDD. If the tools found nothing, check either CPU and graphic card fans and inspect the PC cooling system.

I am sure that the motherboard's BIOS include a CPU tempetare control which you can check an make sure that is on recommended level.

If you however found nothing to worry about CPU and other components you may start investigate whether Vista Services or other applications don't cause issue.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    • Marked as answer by vkocjancic Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:23 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

I already checked all and it was HDD that caused this. Never would have thought. So, I cloned the disk to new one and ran system repair from Vista installation DVD. Now, windows boot up. I am yet to test if everything works.

Thanks for the answer.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:23 AM