Write Protected Disc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Maxell USB Stick 8GB, it is write protected, I have not activated it and now I cannot find a way to remove the Protection.
    It will also not Format.
    Help!!!

Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:14 PM

All replies

• Here are a few things to try:

1. This can be caused by malware, are you sure your machine is clean?
    2. Plug in your device, click the Windows Orb (Start), type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter, then right-click the drive graphic of the device and select Change Drive letter, then change it to one nearer the end of the alphabet.
    3. Change these registry keys but create a system restore point first, just in case you have problems. Note that the keys do not necessarily exist, don't create them as it's probably a different issue.
    A.
    Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies, double click on WriteProtect and change Value Data to 0 (zero).
    B.
    Now go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies, double click on WriteProtect and change Value Data to 0 (zero).
    C.
    Lastly go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\StorageDevicePolicies, double click on WriteProtect and change Value Data to 0 (zero).

Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:38 AM