Relay Agent Information(option82) :windows server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to integrate a wireless AP which have option82 inbuilt and act as DHCP relay agent ; but I don't know where to find the relay agent information(the hexa decimal value for the AP). If any one know where to find or how can I get this relay agent information(hexdec value of the AP) will be very help full.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, option 82 is not defined on the DHCP server, it is rather an option field attached to DHCPDISCOVER and REQUEST packets inserted by a DHCP relay agent.

Therefore, you don’t need to find the relay agent information. Just configure the DHCP server address on the device which acts as DHCP relay agents.

I find the place that needs to use relay agent information is DHCP policy. If you want to use  relay agent information for some reasons, please consult the AP manufacturer for details on how to find the relay agent information.

As a reference, the following article is about how to configure DHCP relay agent on RRAS,

Configure the IPv4 DHCP Relay Agent

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469685.aspx

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, option 82 is not defined on the DHCP server, it is rather an option field attached to DHCPDISCOVER and REQUEST packets inserted by a DHCP relay agent.

Therefore, you don’t need to find the relay agent information. Just configure the DHCP server address on the device which acts as DHCP relay agents.

I find the place that needs to use relay agent information is DHCP policy. If you want to use  relay agent information for some reasons, please consult the AP manufacturer for details on how to find the relay agent information.

As a reference, the following article is about how to configure DHCP relay agent on RRAS,

Configure the IPv4 DHCP Relay Agent

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469685.aspx

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

In windows server 2012, option 82 is an added feature to configure the AP that act as dhcp relay agent. This is done by configuring policy where you will find relay agent info option which inturn needs relay agent information to be mention in hexa value. I even contacted the vendor of AP,even he is not aware of relay agent information. If you can dig deeper to help me,,it will be of great use.

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

There might be some misunderstanding.

Option82 is not necessary for DHCP relay. It is used for DHCP policy in windows server 2012. Since this option is inserted by a DHCP relay agent, the relay agent information should be set on the DHCP relay agent.

The relay agent information which you configure in the windows DHCP server is used to recognize the relay agent. Then DHCP server can give customized IP address and configuration options using this option.

How to get the relay agent information may vary from product to product. You should contact your AP vendor or manufacturer.

Besides, the DHCP Relay Agent is compliant with RFC 1542, "Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol.". You may refer to the link below,

Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1542#page-13

Notice: The relay agent information which is configured on relay agent may not be hexadecimal value, you may converse it into hexadecimal value.

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

I do know that in order to configure dhcp relay agent,option 82 is not required. But in order to make the dhcp server to work as per requirement i need the option 82 feature in windows server 2012. My requirement is as following:

I have 2 ssid namely guest and employee. I want to create two scopes in dhcp server in such a way that guest ssid should assign ip address from scope 1 and employee ssid from scope 2.Now in order to implement this I need to create policy. In policy in order to make the above scenario working I need option 82. If any one have solution pls reply.

REgards,

Prapti

Network Engineer

Friday, June 20, 2014 5:46 AM