none
The Network Connections service hung on starting, event 7022 RRS feed

• Question

• Problem: The Network Connections service hung on starting, event 7022 appears in system log. Under services, the Network Connection Service hangs with status 'starting'.

The computer is still able to network out, it can access Internet and all other network resources. ping to other computers ok.

Incoming network access is not possible, cannot ping from any computer.

Ipconfig /all I can see the network parameters. However, in Network Connection folder, it is empty.

I had tried all the 16 methods in KB329050 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329050, still the same.

I had also tried:

- sp3 re-installation

- Windows 'repair install'

- update Windows to the latest, applying all the critical and important patches

-system restore to the earliest possible restore points of November last year

- netsh winsock reset

None has worked so far.

Is there anything else I can try?

I had disk2vhd the machine and now diagnose it inside Hyper-V.

There is no malware detected.

No one has any idea when was the last time the computer is able to start the network connection service. The problem was only detected when my team tried to remotely connect to it last week.

Valuable skills are not learned, learned skills aren't valuable.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:33 PM

Answers

• I resolved the problem last night.

It is not hardware related because I had disk2vhd it and running it inside Hyper-V. After installing the integration services, the original 'hardware' isn't there anymore.

I check the netman service key inside registry, comparing it with other computer I notice that it has one extra key called Security. I removed the 'Security' key, restart the computer, the problem solved.

I believe this was caused by applying security policy using .inf file. I initially created .inf from Security Templates. The .inf file contains [Service General Setting] which set the services and their settings, and also include the security information. That security key might have been created after applying the security template.

I remember removing the section [Service General Setting] and use SC command to deploy the service settings instead. It might be that this computer was set by my first inf during the initial testing many months ago.

• Marked as answer by SingChung Monday, February 17, 2014 1:42 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:39 AM

All replies

• Can you try replacing the network card or use the same in other system and check? If you've done all the steps, this can be a hardware related issue. 

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:55 AM
  • I resolved the problem last night.

It is not hardware related because I had disk2vhd it and running it inside Hyper-V. After installing the integration services, the original 'hardware' isn't there anymore.

I check the netman service key inside registry, comparing it with other computer I notice that it has one extra key called Security. I removed the 'Security' key, restart the computer, the problem solved.

I believe this was caused by applying security policy using .inf file. I initially created .inf from Security Templates. The .inf file contains [Service General Setting] which set the services and their settings, and also include the security information. That security key might have been created after applying the security template.

I remember removing the section [Service General Setting] and use SC command to deploy the service settings instead. It might be that this computer was set by my first inf during the initial testing many months ago.

• Marked as answer by SingChung Monday, February 17, 2014 1:42 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:39 AM