Blue Screen of Death while starting Server2003R2 Hyper-v image on Server2008R2 OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am getting a BSOD shown below while attempting to start a vhd on hyper-v. it was working perfectly fine a couple of days ago but now it has started showing this same BSOD everytime i try to start it. the vm is server2003r2 and host machine is server2008r2. There are 3 other VMs running fine on the same hyper-v manager except this one.

Its vhd is already set with IDE controller. There are 3 network adaptors connected to all VMs.

I am open to try anything to solve this issue. Therefore, please help me with any idea you may have to make this VM running.

Regards

manibest

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:17 AM

Answers

• Many thanks to all of you :)

what i tried was as below:

while booting process, i did F8 and tried to open windows in safe mode which used to stuck every time at a certain point.

"multi disk rdisk partition windows system32 acpitabl.dat"

then i pressed F8 again while booting and tried to open windows with last known good configurations. Guess what! it actually solved the problem. My VM is back with all the data inside and i can access it as before.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. God bless you all

manibest

manibest
    • Marked as answer by MANIBEST Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:46 AM

All replies

• Try to remove any unnecessary devices from the VM and start it again.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:12 PM
  • I tried to start it after turning off all other VMs, disconnecting all network adaptors and after restarting the host OS. it is still the same problem with same BSOD.
    manibest
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:41 PM
  • a stop 7B is frequently caused by an inaccessible critical boot device.

The most common scenario for this happening with Server 2003 is when the Server 2003 VM has been converted to Hyper-V from either physical or virtual (VMware) as this is the most common time for the boot device to change from SCSI to IDE.

My first questions are:  was the VM rolled back to a previsous snapshot?  Was the VM configuration changed to point to a root VHD (if there was a snapshot or differencing disk that was being used)?

If the VM was built on Hyper-v then its critical boot device should always have been IDE, but if it came fromm some other source, then it smells like an issue rooted in a moment in time - prior to any fixups of the critical boot device happening.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi Brain

The VM has not been shifted from any other physical or virtual machine, nor from a virtual box. The creation date of this vhd is in 2008 and the controller is also IDE. There is no snapshot created from this VM.

the configurations were changed, though, around a month ago i.e. more RAM was chipped into the machine and allocated to the individual VMs. There may be some other changes done to the VMs which I am not sure at the moment. I am chasing the guy who made these changes and will write back as soon as i get to know them.

Any other solution is more than welcome

thanks

manibest
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Hi all,

Following is the reply from person who dealt with the VMs:

I think that it is unlikely that the issue is with the Hyper-V certificates. It may of been the license on the machine. Or possibly a temporary glitch with the RDP service on the VM.
    You can try accessiing the VM usiing the Hyper-V console on the big server and see if you get the same error. 

If you get the same error you will need to google the error details and see if you can resolve it or you will be forced to restore the backup VM. I don't think any service packs have been installed since the backup was taken so thie SHOULD work (but no guarantees).

The backup is dated in 2009, hence it is very much out dated. please suggest any solution to this as this VM has got very important apps in it.

manibest

manibest
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi!

Since the error is generated inside the VM, you should troubleshoot it just like you would with a physical server.

Since hardware failure seems unlikely in a virtual environment ( except the recent increase of RAM), and like Brian stated that it's most likely a boot drive error, you should investigate if there's been any data corruption of the system files or the vhd file.

As a start, I would mount the vhd file, either in the host disk manager or another VM, and run diskcheck. If it's a broken MFT with corrupt index, diskcheck will normally clear that up.

Otherwise I would perform a repair installation using the 2003 Server w/ SP2 installation ISO, to replace potentially damaged system files.

Oh, and of course, making a backup of the vhd before performing repair attempts.

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hi

Is there any antivirus installed in the physical host? I would check the exclusions.

Another suggestion:

1 Restore the backup you have from 2009. You will have now a VM running.

2. Mount the current VHD(from the updated vm, that is not booting,)  in the restored VM (2009 backup)

3. Copy the data from the damaged VHD to the Restored VM using robocop, copy or whatever other copy method you prefer

4. Remove the mounted VHD

5. Restart the VM

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such
    http://virtualizacaoegerenciamento.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by HishamMD Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:16 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Many thanks to all of you :)

what i tried was as below:

while booting process, i did F8 and tried to open windows in safe mode which used to stuck every time at a certain point.

"multi disk rdisk partition windows system32 acpitabl.dat"

then i pressed F8 again while booting and tried to open windows with last known good configurations. Guess what! it actually solved the problem. My VM is back with all the data inside and i can access it as before.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. God bless you all

manibest

manibest
    • Marked as answer by MANIBEST Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:46 AM
  • kouilb.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/vhd-boot-to-hyper-v-blue-screen/

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:09 PM