none
Unattended Account not able to access the cube database (PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer - Analysis Services) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Project Server 2010 and, trying to create a Dashboard, I have found this problem:

I've created a domain account in order to be used as Unattended Account, this account is not part of Project Server users, so it doesn't have any Project Server Group permission. On the other hand I have given read permissions in the Reporting DB and in the cube rol ProjectServerViewOlapDataRole I have included this user in the membership group for this rol. I did these actions in SQL Server Management Studio.

It worked fine the day I did these changes, but the next day, after rebuilding the cube, the user was not anymore in the membership group of the cube rol.

The question is that I do not want to include this user in Project server users list, I just want to give reading access to Reporting DB and the Cube, but the cube rebuilding action keeps removing whatever has been inserted by hand (not having the View OLAP Data permission, given by Project Server if you are a user there).

Do you know how to insert a user by hand in the ProjectServerViewOlapDataRole membership group, being sure that the user account will be persistent there? (but not creating this user in Project Server users list). Or another solution for this issue.

Thank you for your help and regards,

José Espases

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Jose

The Users are not peristent in the cube and are rmoved & added each time the cube builds, any user with a view OLAP data permission in Project Server Users will be added to that role during cube build process, hence you will have to add the user to project server user role,

however if you don't want to add the user to project server, an alternate solution would be you may wirte an event handler which would add user to the desired role at the end of cube build process or have a look at this codeplex solution which was for the 2007 version may need some tweaking & then would work for 2010 as well :: http://epmssas.codeplex.com/

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by José Espases Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Jose

The Users are not peristent in the cube and are rmoved & added each time the cube builds, any user with a view OLAP data permission in Project Server Users will be added to that role during cube build process, hence you will have to add the user to project server user role,

however if you don't want to add the user to project server, an alternate solution would be you may wirte an event handler which would add user to the desired role at the end of cube build process or have a look at this codeplex solution which was for the 2007 version may need some tweaking & then would work for 2010 as well :: http://epmssas.codeplex.com/

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by José Espases Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:46 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

thank you for your answer.

I didn't want to create a new user in Project Server because I didn't want to use a license for that, but at the end I've tested and I have created a new user not able to be assigned as a resource, and not being part of any security Group (neither Category), but allowing the permission View OLAP Data (that's the only thing I don't like as I allow directly the user, not using groups or categories), with this solution the user is included in the cube and is persistent and, on the other hand, it is not counted as Project server license (based on About Project Server option).

Thank you again and regards,

José Espases

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:59 AM