Making ClickOnce app work RRS feed

• Question

• Problem: ClickOnce does not work when run from app-v bubble. App starts up and almost immediately shuts down.

I have a click-once app, basically it's 3 files, everything else is downloaded to %appdata% and run from there.

app.application, app.exe.deploy, app.exe.manifest

My idea was that i can put those 3 files inside the bubble, add some custom configuration (like that certificate prompt when the first app is started if the publisher cert is not in the trusted publishers container) and make it work! :> I've been wrong. ;)

FILENAME="ASSETDIR\app.application" - does not work from iether RDP or ICA session, start/shutsdown

FILENAME="ASSETDIR\run.vbs" - works from RDP, does not from ICA. For some odd reason goes beyond the app-v bubble and creates application files in the physical %appdata% (<LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>), additionally the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\dfsvc.exe is started which starts the application executable from %appdata%. After you exit the app, the dfsvc.exe process still runs in the bubble, meaning application does not completely shut down.

I've googled a bit about this and ran into some people mentioning the same type of behavior (start/shutdown), but no solution has been offered, except deploying the app physically, which is something I'm trying to avoid.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:17 PM

Answers

• I've started a cmd from an ICA session and tried to run the .application file from there - it fails, from both an app-v bubble and regular physical environment. It now seems to be out of scope for a discussion on these forums.

Works correctly from RDP session.

Procmon files do not bring my attention to anything out of the ordinary. The next step would probably be to compare them: one from a working system, another one from the failing inside ICA session.

Did not have time to look into it, yet. Sequenced the app in the old-good way of getting the content of %appdata% app folder to the asset directory. No updates for users, though.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:09 PM

All replies

• Try opening the application through the debug window e.g. A command window that allows you to see into the virtual environment. Browse to the Executable you want to test, test and see what the actual error is. Use a Debug OSD and launch ProcMon and analyze to see what files or reg the application is looking for and not finding.

Do you need to set an environment variable for the path?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:33 PM
  • I've started a cmd from an ICA session and tried to run the .application file from there - it fails, from both an app-v bubble and regular physical environment. It now seems to be out of scope for a discussion on these forums.

Works correctly from RDP session.

Procmon files do not bring my attention to anything out of the ordinary. The next step would probably be to compare them: one from a working system, another one from the failing inside ICA session.

Did not have time to look into it, yet. Sequenced the app in the old-good way of getting the content of %appdata% app folder to the asset directory. No updates for users, though.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:09 PM
  • If I were going to deploy a click once app, I would do something like this:

1. Install the app on my sequencer.  
    2. Find the programs folder that it installed it (the one in %appdata%) and move it to a safe location
    3. Clean the sequencer (rebuild, revert, reimage -- whatever you do)
    4. Start the appv sequencer and perform a custom install.  Move the files manually from where you copied them to your Q:\<programdir> folder.
    5. Finish the sequence.  Don't forget to add a shortcut so you have something to launch.

If that fails, it's most likely some registry settings that you might have to track down and recreate.  You may have to tweak them a little to accomodate for the program files location (on Q: instead of %appdata%).

I've had to deal with a lot of Click Once apps in my Citrix environment.  Thankfully they're all gone now and I don't have to worry about them with AppV.  The above logic is how I installed most of them so I could publish them to my users.

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:13 PM
  • I have run into the same issue.  Discovered that Microsoft says ClickOnce does not work in Terminal services due to a limitation in terminal services.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2020945/en-gb  Is there anyone out there that may have found a workaround to this?  Is there any more detailed information as to what the limitation is?
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Try the method I suggested above.  It's worked for me in the past.  You're basically using click once to install it just to get the files.  Once you have the files, you sequence the app and put them in a folder.  

It doesn't work 100%, but it has worked about 90% for me.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Some info on ClickOnce applications here that might be useful: http://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2013/08/05/clickonce-applications-in-enterprise-environments/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:44 PM