none
Adding smaller Disk to Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm attempting to add a 10-TB disk to DPM.  I currently have a single 20-TB disk assigned to my DPM Storage Pool, and have added the second 10-TB disk to my storage pool.  The 20-TB disk is currently at 6% unallocated space, whereas the new 10-TB disk is at 100% unallocated space.  How do I ensure that DPM starts to use this second disk for backups?  Thank you and please let me know if any further details would be needed to answer this question.

Screenshot of Disk Management (Disk 1 is the current 20-TB drive being used, Disk 4 is the drive I've added)

Here are the disks in the storage pool:

Regards,

Jason

• Edited by JasonGo Monday, August 3, 2015 6:45 PM More info/screenshots
    Monday, August 3, 2015 6:32 PM

Answers

• Whenever DPM needs more storage space it should use the disk with the most free space available. At least this is my observation.
    • Marked as answer by JasonGo Friday, August 7, 2015 11:06 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Hi Jason,

There is nothing you have to do as long as the new smaller disk is added to the DPM storage pool and is OK in the console. If you want (its however not necessary) you can migrate datasources from the old disk to the new one by using the command-line script MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1

TechNet information: Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM

How-to guide: How to migrate data between DPM disks

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:37 PM

All replies

• Whenever DPM needs more storage space it should use the disk with the most free space available. At least this is my observation.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:36 AM
  • Interesting... thanks for the reply but that's now what I'm seeing in this case.  The new disk has 100% available space but hasn't been used yet by DPM, and it has been in this state for days.

Regards,

Jason

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:14 PM
  • Hi Jason,

There is nothing you have to do as long as the new smaller disk is added to the DPM storage pool and is OK in the console. If you want (its however not necessary) you can migrate datasources from the old disk to the new one by using the command-line script MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1

TechNet information: Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM

How-to guide: How to migrate data between DPM disks

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:37 PM