none
Why would IE9 launch when IE11 is installed? RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently deployed IE11 to all our desktops, in order to support a new application (which has already gone live). We have already (manually) checked every workstation prior to go-live, and visually confirmed that they all had IE 11 installed.

Over the past few days, some users are reporting that they have IE9 installed. We have gone back and checked these, and launching IE does indeed seem to be IE9. However, in Windows Features, it's showing IE11 (and as enabled).

How is this possible and what can we do to fix it?

enter image description hereenter image description here

-Matt

• Edited by GolfTangoGolf Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:54 PM Resize images to make post more readable
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

have those faulty clients been rebooted yet?

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, May 15, 2015 12:33 AM
  • Hi Rob

Yes, and as per my post, we had previously manually confirmed each one had IE installed (and launching). So workstations that previously had IE11 functioning normally are now inexplicably launching IE9, even though IE11 shows as installed and enabled.

Thanks

-Matt

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

1. If an IE version is uninstalled (from the installed Windows updates control panel) then the previous version is automatically re-instated. Manual removal of the upgrade is the only way I know of that IE9 could be re-instated.... I meant have the workstations been rebooted since the problem was found.... It seems to me that they are in a halfway state

2. from the first screen shot it appears that you have another web browser installed as well?

I can't think of a reason why another browser would make windows downgrade the installed IE version, but if you have/had the Avast web browser installed then it is known to add an IE6 userAgent token.... which will cause you problems.

Using file explorer, go to c:\Program Files(86)\Internet Explorer

and locate iexplore.exe and right click on it and select the Properties dialog>Details tab...
    check the reported version number..
    If its 11-------- locate your Internet Explorer Shortcut icon on the Desktop or Start menu and right click on it and select Properties...... it will point to the file location (expected: c:\program files(86)\internet explorer)

If your IEAK installation for IE11 is writing to the Desktop or start menu to create the IE launch shortcut, it may be failing (or when IE9 is archived, the desktop shortcuts are updated to point to the archived location.)

Rob^_^

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:56 AM
  • Hi Rob, thanks for all your help so far and apologies for the delay in responding. To clarify a couple of your points:

1. If an IE version is uninstalled (from the installed Windows updates control panel) then the previous version is automatically re-instated. Manual removal of the upgrade is the only way I know of that IE9 could be re-instated.... I meant have the workstations been rebooted since the problem was found.... It seems to me that they are in a halfway state

We haven't tested this yet, but disabling it in Turn Windows Features on or off simple removes IE altogether, rather than reverting to a previous version. But I can confirm that the updates were definitely not manually removed. We will also see if there's a way to report on update history to include updates removed (rather than updates installed).

2. from the first screen shot it appears that you have another web browser installed as well?

I can't think of a reason why another browser would make windows downgrade the installed IE version, but if you have/had the Avast web browser installed then it is known to add an IE6 userAgent token.... which will cause you problems.

There is no other web browser installed. There's a Launchpad at the top of the screen, maybe that's what you were looking at?

Using file explorer, go to c:\Program Files(86)\Internet Explorer

and locate iexplore.exe and right click on it and select the Properties dialog>Details tab...
    check the reported version number..
    If its 11-------- locate your Internet Explorer Shortcut icon on the Desktop or Start menu and right click on it and select Properties...... it will point to the file location (expected: c:\program files(86)\internet explorer)

Confirmed through this method the installed version is 9, this is not a shortcut issue.

-Matt

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

Please see this information about the IE Update blocker toolkit, to confirm if it has been installed and applied to the problem clients.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=179

also
    Start>Event View>Windows Logs>Setup to view the client's update error logs.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:32 AM
  • launching IE does indeed seem to be IE9. However, in Windows Features, it's showing IE11 (and as enabled).

More significantly, what modules are being loaded?  E.g. use msinfo32.exe (for its Loaded Modules) or resmon.exe to sort by version and see if browser related modules start with 11.0 or 9.0.  If they start with 11.0 then only the Help would have been a problem and that could indicate interference by something during the update. 

For a very distinctive UI difference you could see what you get in the Developer Tools after pressing F12.   Heh.  It's not so distinctive any more.  The IE11 DT tabs once were vertical.  Now they are back to being horizontal again.  At least the method of opening them is distinct.  E.g. I don't think you can switch to the Network tab by pressing Ctrl-4 in IE9.   <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:04 PM
    Answerer