How to move a HD protected by bitlocker to a new computer, permanently? RRS feed

• Question

• How to move a HD protected by bitlocker  to a new computer, permanently?

I had a Dell Notebook with bitlocker, HD protected, ok, everything was fine.

Recently, the Notebook got damaged, the notebook was changed to a new one and the HD was moved form the old notebook to the new one

But when i reboot, the systems asks for my 48 digit recovery password, i type the big number.. system boots, fine. For EVERY boot, always ask for bitlocker key.

How can i tell the system: "now, this old HD will be attached to this new coputer, permanently", how can i avoid typing the key agian?

• Edited by fborup Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:47 AM typo error
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>how can i avoid typing the key agian?

Does your older laptop have the TPM chip?

The TPM interacts with BitLocker to help provide seamless protection at system startup. This is transparent to the user, and the user logon experience is unchanged.

However, if the TPM is missing or changed, or if the startup information has changed, BitLocker will enter recovery mode, and you will need a recovery password to regain access to the data.

Please try to decrypt your drive and encryt it again.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:51 PM