Sequenced Application Launch Performance RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully sequenced one of our plant maintenance applications.  The problem that I have run into is that with the application loaded locally on a machine the launch time to application window is about 15 seconds.  Launching the sequenced App-V version of that same application takes about 1 minute until the application window appears. 

I was expecting a slight launch performance degredation but not quite on that order?  The entire package is only around 150MB.  Any suggestions on where to start looking to increase launch performance?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:21 AM

Answers

• Thanks for all the suggestions.  I did manage to track it down using Procmon to some missing MSVC*70.dll files that were simply present on the sequencer machine but not on the Windows 2008 Terminal Server I was launching from.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, January 25, 2010 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:47 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The launch time depends on several factors and all of them should be seperated and looked at independtly. What actually happens can be taken from the log-file as that automatically will differ the time of downloading bits and starting the application.

Now, once an application is cached it becomes more depdent on the sequence and what optimizations the client has received. I know there is a KB-article for TS-environment optimizations which could be applied to workstations. The different recommendations are probably explained on a couple of threads on appvirtguru.com.

Office is an application that adds one or two services, which of course adds to the launch time. Now, they aren't really needed so best practice is to remove those and reduce the launch time. This is just one example of why a sequenced package might have additional launch time and exactly why yours have, well - you will probably have to know more about the sequence and the client.
    /Znack

Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:18 AM
  • My problems with this sequenced application keep growing.  Part of this application uses some subset of Crystal reports to display reports inside of the application.  I excercised these reports during the sequencing process.  However, now when I try to run those same reports using the App-V verison of the application, I'm getting the following error:

Failed to load database information.
    Details: The database DLL 'crdb_adoplus.dll' could not be loaded.

I've tried to figure out if I've missed something during the sequencing process, but it seems to work fine on the sequencer.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Hello,

Is the missing file part of the sequence?

If you try to perform an upgrade after resetting the sequencer, does it work then?

/Znack
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:50 AM
  • As best as I can tell, the file mentioned in the error message is included in the sequence.  It has to be some component of Crystal Reports that is not getting sequenced correctly but I'm at a lost as to how to determine right now.  If the reports would not come up during the sequencing wizard process maybe I would have more to go on.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Hello,

For a suggestion regarding crystal reports;
    http://www.appvirtguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3393&start=0&hilit=crystal+reports

If that doesn't help I would try to use an alternate capture software and see what the sequencer misses (or manually just tracking it down).

/Znack
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions.  I did manage to track it down using Procmon to some missing MSVC*70.dll files that were simply present on the sequencer machine but not on the Windows 2008 Terminal Server I was launching from.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, January 25, 2010 7:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:47 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:56 PM