none
Portfolio Analysis - Analyze Resources - An unknown error has occurred RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello

    Can anyone help?

    While trying to run all the steps of the portfolio analysis (and they all seem to work fine), when I get to the step to see the resources calculation results I get an unknown error. (see print screen below).

    Any idea how to resolve it?

    Thanks

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:16 AM

Answers

  • Hello to all, once again.

    I finally managed to resolve the issue.

    The problem was occuring due to the fact that I had changed the view of the Gannt Chart in Project Centre.(go to Server Settings/Look and Feel/Gannt Chart Formats/ select Gannt Chart (Project Centre) from the drop down list - see print screen below)

    I had unticked at some point in the past the option to see the Summary progress bar within the Project Summary bar. Once I ticked it again the issue was resolved. I tested it 3 times after that with ticking and unticking to make sure that this action was creating the problem and YES it was.

    Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

    Thanks everyone for the help and I hope that my finding will help others.

    Thanks

    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

  • Manos,

    Your best course of action is to look at the event viewer and the ULS logs on the application server to determine the nature of the error. If you do not have access, you will need to contact your system administrator.

    Treb Gatte @tgatte

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:49 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks a lot Treb

    I cannot find much on the event viewer or the ULS logs. Just found the below error message on the 'manage queue jobs' on the server setting of the project server.

    Error:

    • QueueAnalysisCannotUpdateAnalysis (29682). Details: id='29682'
      name='QueueAnalysisCannotUpdateAnalysis'
      uid=....
      AnalysisUid=....
      MessageType='Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.AnalysisMessage'
      MessageID='1' Blocking='DontBlock'.

    Does that say anything to you?

    Thanks again

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Hi Manos

    As Treb mentioned you need to check the ULS log, ideally should be on you App Server, path to log file can be obtained via central admin, also make sure if project server events have been selected to log the errors or not, if not enable the logging & reproduce the error & then verify the ULS log, that should be a good starting point for troubleshooting the issue


    Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com


    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:20 AM
    Moderator
  • Using which users log in you are running this analysis and what are the privileges for that user?

    Abhijeet M. Mohite

    Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:45 AM
  • If I have understood your question correctly, I am using my personal log in credentials and I am an administrator on the Project Server. Is that what you are asking me?

    Thanks Abhijeet

    Friday, August 24, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Thanks Sunil,

    Just to add something else. I was reading in some blog, that there might be an issue with duplicate records creating that error. There we some sql scripts on that blog that you can run, but unfortunately I cannot find it again. Does that ring any bells?

    Thanks again

    Friday, August 24, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi Manos,

    I dont think that was for portfolio analysis, rather i believe that was for unknown error in project center, i believe you are looking for this blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2012/04/16/project-server-2010-an-unknown-error-in-project-center-usually-related-to-filters-and-duplicate-custom-field-values.aspx

    And this is the hotfix which cleans those : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598251

    However "Unknown Error" is very generic & won't give you much clue if its related to something or not, the best possible option is to look for the exact error in ULS / event logs & find out the cause


    Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

    Friday, August 24, 2012 9:16 AM
    Moderator
  • Hello to all, once again.

    I finally managed to resolve the issue.

    The problem was occuring due to the fact that I had changed the view of the Gannt Chart in Project Centre.(go to Server Settings/Look and Feel/Gannt Chart Formats/ select Gannt Chart (Project Centre) from the drop down list - see print screen below)

    I had unticked at some point in the past the option to see the Summary progress bar within the Project Summary bar. Once I ticked it again the issue was resolved. I tested it 3 times after that with ticking and unticking to make sure that this action was creating the problem and YES it was.

    Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

    Thanks everyone for the help and I hope that my finding will help others.

    Thanks

    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:23 AM