add a search filter RRS feed

• Question

• hello guys
    does anyone know how can i add a new search filter to windows 7 ?
    thank you
    Haitham
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi, are you seeing the same problem as me where the "Add a search filter" option is greyed out?

I have yet to find a solution to this...

Monday, November 16, 2009 9:11 PM
  • yes this is exactly what im talking about

where are you guys????
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:39 AM
  • I haven't worked it out yet. I thought maybe something in Group Policy might be doing it but after running a few RSOP tests I can find nothing obvious.

Is anyone else seeing this or do they know a) why the option is disabled or b) how to enable it?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Yep, we just can't trust Windows Search, it fundamentally does not work and I wish Microsoft would come out of denial about it.

However, this option is always disabled for me and anyone else in our office on any PC. I might try at home tonight and see if it is disabled or not there, too. It could still be something in our corporate environment.
    • Edited by Rob.Ford Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:50 PM typo
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:50 PM
  • where are the MVPs??? :)
    we need your help guys here

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:10 PM
  • So - did this ever get resolved? I'm looking all over for an answer to this problem?

RzzzB

Friday, May 28, 2010 4:49 PM
  • what absolute garbage......process improvement by removing the search process functions????

where is search by content?????????????

Monday, May 9, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Where are you trying add the search filter? Where is greyed out? It should be, with blue category filters with more options active depending on the folder being searched.

Which files are being returned in the Start->search box?

Have you set the search options in Windows Explorer->Organize tab->Folder and Search options->search tab? Try natural language search selected.

Win Logo + F->add a filter in the search box drop down? Click on a blue category to add a filter of kind or date modified etc...add a filter is greyed out, but the blue categories are active This is by design

In Start->Help and Support->type search filter->select advanced tips for searching windows

There should be no need for cruising around-click Start->type a search parameter in the box and it it displays what you need. Yes, many will have examples as to why Windows search sucks. I think it is more a matter of adaptation.

Monday, May 9, 2011 11:53 AM
  • I've seen this question asked so many times and seen so many non-answers, even from Microsoft support staff.  I searched the web long and hard and finally someone came up with the closest thing to an answer.  Hit the Windows Logo key and the 'F' key.  Then, you'll be presented with more search options.  Doesn't seem to stay permanent though, but at least it's better than having to memorize syntax like type: kind: tags:, etc..
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:51 PM
  • All these still do NOT allow to search for files CONTAINING a particular string. And the "ADD SEARCH FILTER" item in the SEARCH BOX is stil disabled (grayed out)
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Four years later and there's finally an answer. Here's what's up.

One step that's all:

1. In your search bar type "tags:" and then your tag name you are searching for. 

After you add the colon, "tags:" should turn blue. 

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/B-alj1JTzjE

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 5:30 PM