Windows 10 CD-ROM device migration with upper/lower filters RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Apologies if this isn't quite the right forum for this but I have a question regarding Windows 10 and the migration of CD-ROM devices where upper/lower filters are concerned.  

I did raise it in this forum but haven't received a reply, maybe this forum is more appropriate: 
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/194ca516-8649-4a76-821c-b0fd32255ddd/windows-10-cdrom-device-migration-with-upperlower-filters?forum=windowsopticalplatform

When you upgrade to Windows 10, or from Windows 10 to an insider version it appears that devices are migrated.  This migration of devices is captured in the log file setupapi.upgrade.log (\windows\inf\) 

What does it mean if the driver services show up as:

"Cannot migrate service 'x' not owned by PnP."

What does being owned by Plug 'n' Play mean?

Here is an example log:

These services are missing post upgrade yet I don't see any warnings about them being lost?

What conditions need to be met for such services to be migrated?

Many thanks in advance.

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

"When you upgrade to Windows 10, or from Windows 10 to an insider version it appears that devices are migrated"
    What is the exact symptom?
    Can you be more specific about your issue and "migrated"?
    Based on your description, I understand that you are facing a CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected issue.

Before upgrade to Windows 10, we need ensure the device manufacturer website has released the Windows 10 compatible driver for your model machine. Please contact your device manufacturer support to verify it. Some features, applications and devices may not work well as expected if there is no compatible drivers.

And for CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected issue, we could refer to the following link to troubleshoot and fix it.
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/314060

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  

The issue is that the CD-ROM device no longer works following the upgrade to Windows 10.  It was working fine before.

In the broken state, under Device Manager, the CD-ROM device has a yellow warning icon - and essentially this issue: "Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged" -
 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772156%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

The reason for the failure is that the service associated with the sdcfilter driver (a lower filter) is no longer installed.

sc query sdcfilter

confirms it is no longer present on the computer.

If I re-install the sdcfilter service from the driver .inf file, the device works fine as the service is re-created.

I don't understand why the sdcfilter service wasn't migrated during the upgrade, the evidence of it not being migrated was in the setupapi.upgrade.log. i.e. "Cannot migrate service 'sdcfilter' not owned by PnP."

What does being owned by Plug 'n' Play mean?  Surely this will never work.  

You can also see in the same log that the upper filter service was also not migrated.

What conditions need to be met for a service such as these to be migrated?

Many thanks for your time.

Regards.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:17 PM
  • It seems that the driver "sdcfilter" was part of Sophos Endpoint Software, so you probably will have to update your Antivirus to a supported version.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:04 PM
  • The Sophos product works fine with Windows 10 and even from this broken state, if I re-install the sdcfilter driver, which re-installs the service it all works.

I just don't know why the migration takes exception to it and what...
    "Cannot migrate service 'sdcfilter' not owned by PnP."
    ...means.

In the same log, the gearaspiwdm service, which was installed with iTunes suffered the same fate.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:35 PM
  • it is not owned by PnP, as it is not really a hardware Plug'nPlay device, but a filter was added by 3rd party software.
    The gearaspiwdm service had problems in the past, so removing it was probably in self-defense.

There is a report from 2015 which seems to match you problem (Sophos + iTunes + Windows 10 = no CD):
    Windows 10 CD/DVD-ROM issue

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:03 PM
  • That would suggest all software with such drivers would need to be re-installed post upgrade to Windows 10 and I assume from Insider to Insider and to updates such as Anniversary, etc.

If that's the case why are there no warnings that software will need to be re-installed if the migration process will never migrate them?

I'd like to understand the conditions behind the migration logic and if it can be made to work.  What would it entail? Is it data driven?

I can only think people don't notice a failing CD-ROM or reduced functionality as the devices are becoming less used.

A Google search for "not owned by PnP" only throws up this thread.

Thank you for all the input.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:38 PM