Remote BLOB Store on WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• To Whom It May Concern:

Has anyone tried to install a remote BLOB store on WSS 3.0? I have researched and read numerous documentation and web sites on RBS but no one specifically mentions WSS 3.0. All documentation refers to SharePoint 2010. I have successfully configured the RBS up until the point that you have to use Sharepoint Powershell to enable the blob store - SHAREPOINT POWERSHELL DOES NOT COME WITH WSS 3.0!! Attempting to use the Windows Powershell fails and doesn't recognize the commands required to enable the blob store:

$cdb = Get-SPContentDatabase <ContentDatabaseName>
    $rbss = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings
    $rbss.Installed()
    $rbss.Enable()
    $rbss.SetActiveProviderName($rbss.GetProviderNames()[0])
    $rbss

I'm stuck and cannot figure this out.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

DM

Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think RBS supported with WSS 3.0 , you need to upgrade to SharePoint Foundation 2010 and then configure RBS.

Regards,
    Fadi Abdulwahab, SharePoint Consultant
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/fabdulwahab
    http://sqlgoogler.blogspot.com/

Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:16 AM
  • WSS 3.0 is part of SharePoint 2007. SharePoint 2007 did not support Remote Blob Store. It does support something called External Blob Store, or EBS. You will find there are far fewer EBS resources than RBS resources. EBS was very much a version 1 implementation and didn't work very well. If you're looking for a 3rd party solution Quest Software's Storage Maximizer uses EBS and it works with SharePoint 2007. I'm sure there are others.

tk

SharePoint MVP My blog My SharePoint 2010 Admin book: Professional SharePoint 2010 Administration

Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Wow, I feel really silly now. I did not realize that WSS 3.0 wasn't the latest version of Sharepoint services and that Sharepoint Foundation 2010 was. I will re-configure with SharePoint Foundation 2010 and give it a try.

Thanks for the clarification!

DM

Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Thanks Todd. As you see in my above posting, I guess working with an old version of WSS can create an endless amount of troubleshooting when trying to install RBS. Working with previous versions of WSS in the past, when searching for the latest version of Microsoft SharePoint Services in Google, I will try and refrain from using the search criteria "WSS Downloads" :)

Thanks!

DM

Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:47 PM
  • There are a number of 3rd-party Remote Blob Storage (RBS) providers for SharePoint 2010 including:

Stepwise (Invizion)

Storage Maximiser (Quest)

Microsoft Filestream Sample (Microsoft)

StoragePoint (Metalogix)

Avepoint (DocAve)

Gavin McKay Invizion Pty Limited Makers of Stepwise, Remote Blob Storage for SharePoint w: www.invizion.com.au

• Marked as answer by Jack-Gao Friday, July 27, 2012 11:05 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 9:10 AM