User import does not preserve all settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a user in SteadyState whose profile resides on the D partition, and whom I have added to the Administrators group.  I exported this user, and have found that when I import this same user, both of these attributes are lost, while all other settings seem to be preserved.  The computer doing the import is partitioned in exactly the same way (it's actually the same physical computer), but the imported profile is created in c:\documents and settings. 
    Is there a way to get SteadyState to retain profile location and group membership through the export/import process?
    Friday, July 6, 2007 2:13 PM

Answers

• to retain profile location :
    scenario:change the default profile location to D:\
    1.Navigate to the following restry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory
    change the Default vaule to D:\
    2.copy the All Users and Default User folders from "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings" to D:\
    3.import user profile throught SteadyState.

to retain group membership :
    Unfortunately,the export function in SteadyState only exports the restrictions and SteadyState related settings for a user to a ssu file. It will not export users' group membership. Such behavior is by design.

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:25 PM

All replies

• to retain profile location :
    scenario:change the default profile location to D:\
    1.Navigate to the following restry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory
    change the Default vaule to D:\
    2.copy the All Users and Default User folders from "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings" to D:\
    3.import user profile throught SteadyState.

to retain group membership :
    Unfortunately,the export function in SteadyState only exports the restrictions and SteadyState related settings for a user to a ssu file. It will not export users' group membership. Such behavior is by design.

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I am aware of that registry hack, and the fact that it necessitates relocating the All Users and Default Users profiles, since the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\AllUsersProfile and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\DefaultUsersProfile use relative paths based on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory key. 

For my situation, this is not desirable, since we would like to segregate the user profile on the d: partition with nothing else there. 

In SteadyState, when creating a new profile, the option of what partition on which to create the profile is present, and this setting overrides HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User's SID>\ProfileImagePath. 

It appears, then that the export function does not preserve such an overridden profile location (I can see why you would not want it to do so).  However, it seems that it would be both logical and simple to implement this functionality in the import function.  So when Importing the user, the prompt would be for User Name, Password, (confirm password), and profile location.  Then the input of profile location would simply dictate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User's SID>\ProfileImagePath, as with a new profile creation. 

Any chance of that feature being added?

Is there another way of keeping only the user's profile on the d partition?  I know I can manually change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList<User's SID>\ProfileImagePath, and copy their profile from C to D, but I'm looking for something less cumbersome.  Thanks.

Monday, July 9, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

We understand the inconvenience caused by the current import user profile feature. We will forward the request to the product team to see if they could add a option to choose a store location when we import a user profile.

For the moving of user profile, currently, there is not a better way other than changing the ProfileImagePath.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:43 PM
  • We have forwarded this feedback to our product team. According to their feedback, this feature has been planned in the next version of SteadyState. Again, thank you for your great feedback.

Best Regards,

Laura Zhang - MSFT

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:59 AM