Windows 7 mystery pixellated Bluescreen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with a problem I keep having with my PC. Occasionally (usually upon startup) my monitor suddenly flashes up with a fullscreen pixellated mess of colours then reboots. The error message I get is that it is a bluescreen.

This started happening after I set up the internet which makes me think it could be a virus, although for a while my computer wouldn't start up without bluescreening unless I unplugged the Asus wireless dongle...

I don't know much about computers so if thee is anything else I need to provide to help with a diagnosis then please let me know. I am including the error message in full below:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: d1

BCP1: 0000000000000008

BCP2: 0000000000000002

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: FFFFF88005B1F70E

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\081710-18220-01.dmp

C:\Users\Charlie and Anna\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34944-0.sysdata.xml

Thanks a lot for any reply,

Charlie

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can also contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. There may be a need to analysis the source file or debug the codec. However, debugging codec is beyond what we can do in this forum.

Alternatively, you could perform the following common troubleshooting firstly:

1.     Perform a Clean Boot to identify if it is caused by any third party software.

2.     Perform a Device Clean Boot to eliminate the driver cause:

1)    Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.

2)    Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3)    Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4)    Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK

5)    Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

6)    Please restart the computer.

3.     Boot in Safe Mode to see if it is caused by third party service.

4.     Run sfc /scannow to scan the system files and run Memory Diagnostic utility to test memory.

1)    Reboot computer, keep pressing F8, choose "Repair Your Computer" when startup menu appear.

2)    Click "Next" and type user password  if prompt, click next.

3)    Press the Tab key on the keyboard to highlight "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and press the Enter key.

5.     Run chkdsk /f command to fix the hard disk error.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:13 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:19 AM

All replies

• Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

You can also contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. There may be a need to analysis the source file or debug the codec. However, debugging codec is beyond what we can do in this forum.

Alternatively, you could perform the following common troubleshooting firstly:

1.     Perform a Clean Boot to identify if it is caused by any third party software.

2.     Perform a Device Clean Boot to eliminate the driver cause:

1)    Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.

2)    Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3)    Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4)    Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK

5)    Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

6)    Please restart the computer.

3.     Boot in Safe Mode to see if it is caused by third party service.

4.     Run sfc /scannow to scan the system files and run Memory Diagnostic utility to test memory.

1)    Reboot computer, keep pressing F8, choose "Repair Your Computer" when startup menu appear.

2)    Click "Next" and type user password  if prompt, click next.

3)    Press the Tab key on the keyboard to highlight "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and press the Enter key.

5.     Run chkdsk /f command to fix the hard disk error.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:13 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:19 AM