How to display different columns for different folders in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello SP Geeks!

The requirement I am addressing is as follows:
    Under "Team Artifacts" folder, There are bunch of sub folders - A thru D, for the purpose of this example.

The Column Labels for Team Artifacts are Col 1 - Col 5. But the Col 2 and Col 5 are specific to only sub-folder C.

The desired behavior  is - display Col 2 and Col 5 only when Sub-folder  C is clicked or accessed and DO NOT display these cols for A,B,D.Also Col 1,Col 3 and Col 4 are common for all sub-folders .

What is required is ....

Team Artifacts

Col 1

Col 2

Col 3

Col 4

Col 5

Sub-folder A

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

No

Sub-folder B

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

No

Sub-folder C

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Sub-folder D

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

No

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:34 PM

All replies

• [box-o-soap]We, the said Geeks, are smart enough not to use Folders, so we can't possibly have an answer for this. :) Thus, anything you can do to avoid folders in the future is probably a good thing. (But, it's a deep philosophical debate that has raged for many moons, and you can Bing to your heart's content to study the arguments from both sides, but yet, here you are, locked in the hard confines of folderdom.) [/box-o-soap]

Moving on...

As you have asked this in a 'General' forum, and not a 'Programming' one, I'll guess that telling you to sling some code is a non-starter. But, some donk will tell you to create an Event Receiver or other thing that probably doesn't exist in your vocabulary, so just ignore them.

Thus, the UI-based answer, that I believe you seek, is that you'll need to make a different Library Views to facilitate the different setups. From there, you can make a bunch of matching navigation links that will assist the user to land on their proper folder-based view. Hmm, since I've never had to do it, I don't know if you can tell a view to specifically use a single folder, so you may need to add some Metadata. (It's simple, create a field called "Folder", then put the folder name in it. Then use it for the View's criteria.)

And now, the Cadillac version...

If you want to get really fancy, the "proper SharePoint way" would probably be to implement Content Types within the library. The exact purpose of CTs is that you have one library with all the metadata needed for everything that is to be contained in the library, but only certain metadata is applied to each Content Type, just as you have defined in your chart above.

For example, suppose you had a list called Clothes.

Clothes
    --------
    Size
    Color
    Inseam
    ClaspType
    ClosureType
    etc

Inside of this list, you could create the content types of Pants, Dresses, Shorts, Bathing Suits.  As you can see, some fields apply to some content types, but typically not all fields apply.  Like Shorts wouldn't need inseam.

You can do the same thing with your documents in a document library.

I'm guessing this is way into the TMI weeds, but all this non-sense is why my mortgage gets paid for "Doing SharePoint". :D

Steve Clark, MCTS
    Easy Bins Roll-off Dumpster Rentals in Northern VA
    Specializing in:
    Driveway-sized, roll-off dumpster rentals in Fairfax VA | Dumpster Rentals for Junk Hauling in Springfield VA
    Roll-off Rental Dumpsters in Annandale, VA

Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:34 PM