Windows 7 64-bit. RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running XP Home Edition(32-bit) and am capable of running 64-bit. Is it possible for me to install Windows 7 64-bit?? I have the Product Key given to me from TechNet for the 32-bit version of Windows 7 32-bit;but, it stated that I would be unable to download this version at this time.  Is there any advice you could possibly give me as to what I would really like to do???
                                                                         Sincerely,
                                                                                        Joseph A. Williamson
      P.S.: I have already installed your Live Mesh Beta program, with absolutely no problems(so far);but, would really like to do the above.
      And, can this mesh program help with my PC seeing my Xbox 360, I have already turned on "media sharing" within Media Player(version 11);but, it doesn't see my Xbox 360.
    I don't have the Media Center installed due to only having XP(OEM) Home Edition 32-bit installed.
    Joseph Williamson
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:53 PM

Answers

• Question: Can I download and install the 64-bit version...?
    Answer: Yes

My first try was with a 32 bits XP on one partition. I used 7zip to open the iso file, and put the contents in a directory, and then just launched it (it being windows beta build 7000 x64). It installed nicely to the second partition. (during the install it just copies a bunch of files to a location the install seems to like, reboots and proceeds).
    btw I just finished the install of Windows RC x64 the same way.
    So my windows XP 32 bits machine became a Windows 7 64 bits machine.

Robert Heinlein once said something like: Listen carefully to all people explaining why things cannot be done, and than just do it.

Regards

Rem
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, June 29, 2009 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:49 AM

All replies

• On the 5th of May the RC of Windows 7 will be available for public download. Wait  until then and then get yourself a 64 bit key and the 64bit  download. However you cannot perform an upgrade from XP to windows 7, you have to do a full install, either to a new hard-drive, or partition on your existing drive. Personally i would recommend a secondary harddrive if you are able to do so.

If you get the RC of Windows 7 then you should be able to test your 360 linking to the PC fine, because i believe the ability to do so is standard in the windows 7 Ultimate versions. I havent personally tested this as i dont have a 360 ;)

Sanginius
    • Proposed as answer by Sanginius Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:36 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:36 PM
  • On the 5th of May the RC of Windows 7 will be available for public download. Wait  until then and then get yourself a 64 bit key and the 64bit  download. However you cannot perform an upgrade from XP to windows 7, you have to do a full install, either to a new hard-drive, or partition on your existing drive. Personally i would recommend a secondary harddrive if you are able to do so.

If you get the RC of Windows 7 then you should be able to test your 360 linking to the PC fine, because i believe the ability to do so is standard in the windows 7 Ultimate versions. I havent personally tested this as i dont have a 360 ;)

Sanginius

Sanginius,

I have several totally separate hard drives. I have my largest (150 GB.) partitioned in half. One part(my C: drive);and, the 2nd half is basically free for a clean install.

I didn't know I could do that, because of my existing install.  I also, have separate drives that I could(independently) install on any one, which I could format without any problems.

As far as my Xbox 360... I have turned on "file sharing" from within my Windows Media Player(version 11); but, it just won't see my 360 .  I've turned on everything I could so it might see my 360;but, not dice...go figure...

Thank-you,

for the quick and informative e-mail you sent me... that was most appreciated.

And, feel free to send anything else,that you feel would be of help!!

Thanks..again.

Joseph A. Williamson

Peace...
    Joseph Williamson
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I would advise using one of your independent drives that you have for Windows 7, disconnect your xp one for the duration of the install, then reconnect it afterwards as during installation if windows 7 isnt installed to the first hard drive in the system it puts a hidden 200MB partition on it.  This means that if for any reason you need to restore XP, for example you can just format the drive that has Windows 7 on and reconnect the XP disk and you are back up and operating without any problems within a matter of minutes. when i installed Windows 7 originally i put it onto an 80Gb SATA I drive, but within a week i had purchased a 1TB SATAII drive and it is now running nicely on that.

Sanginius
    Friday, May 1, 2009 10:12 AM
  • I would advise using one of your independent drives that you have for Windows 7, disconnect your xp one for the duration of the install, then reconnect it afterwards as during installation if windows 7 isnt installed to the first hard drive in the system it puts a hidden 200MB partition on it.  This means that if for any reason you need to restore XP, for example you can just format the drive that has Windows 7 on and reconnect the XP disk and you are back up and operating without any problems within a matter of minutes. when i installed Windows 7 originally i put it onto an 80Gb SATA I drive, but within a week i had purchased a 1TB SATAII drive and it is now running nicely on that.

Sanginius

Sanginius,
     How do I "disconnect" XP??? I know it's seen as (1)--- the installed OS. And, once "disconnected..How do I go about "re-connecting it??
      You must really like gigantic drives! I have only heard of that size of a hard drive. Unreal... I've never had two separate OS systems installed on any computer I've ever built or had.
     I know a few things;but, this stuff I'm not familiar with.. Plus, I'm basically a gamer at heart;but, I do like upgrading my system(when I can..). And, that's because WE(general public) never ever are "cutting-edge. And, if we reach that actual point...It's always "changing". So, in essence we never ever really will "reach" that point(for long..).
             But, I must admit--it's "fun" just trying to actually get there;and, frustrating-- to.   

Thank-you..again,
                                                                                                       Kind Sir... For your quick and always very informative information.
                                                                                                                                 Sincerely,
                                                                                                                                                   Joseph A. Williamson                             

Joseph Williamson
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:43 AM
  • I'm also a gamer at heart, at a rough guess ive proably got close to 400 or so games, and i like to have quite a few installed at the same time, so i can play whatever i want whenever i want, and the 1TB drive only cost me ~£70 at the start of this year. XP is currently installed on a 500GB SATAII drive. Just over a year ago i was using a pair of 80G drives, but i got Frustrated at how quickly they filled up lol.

In answer to your question there are a couple of different ways, I notice you said you had built computers before, which means you can use both options. One is to physically disconnect the drive inside the machine, by disconnecting either the IDE cable or SATA data cable(depending on type of drive you have) that connects the hard drive to the motherboard, which you can do at the same time as you're connecting a seperate drive to put Windows 7 on, if you decide to o it that way, the other way is to go into the bios, and disable what would currently be your primary hard-drive. Depending on the age of your PC though you may not be able to use this option and might have to go with physical disconnection.

Either of these options will let you reconnect the drive at any point, however the one draw-back to using these methods is that the system will not be enabled by default to use dual-boot, which allows you to choose whether you want to boot into XP or Windows 7, however you should be able to choose which OS you boot to, by EITHER changing the boot priority in the BIOS, or by phtsically changing the cabling between the motherboard slots. However if you are happy to try the Windows 7 RC as your main OS, then i would connect the XP drive as a secondary, so you still have access to all files on that drive.

If you want to be able to access both OS without having to go into either the case or the BIOS when you boot, then you will need to go with a dual boot setup, which means leaving the XP drive connected, Installing an additional drive, then when installing Widows 7 RC selecting the 'additional' drive to install to, this will put the hidden 200MB partition on your existing C: but whenever you boot the PC up you will be given the choice to boot into eith Older Version of Windows(XP) or Windows 7.

Hope this helps, and if you need more answers, feel free to ask ;)

Sanginius
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I have "dual boot" capability with the motherboard(Gigabyte GA-KN8N Pro-SLI/ nForce 4 SLI);which, is now an older board. But, it does support "dual boot". With this being a fairly large install I will be putting it on the 2nd half of my SATA 150 GB. drive. I really have no choice. Now, I went on your web site today, and just listened to the visual and audio on how to "migrate" XP with Windows 7. This I believe is where it would create a 200 mb. hidden file which you described earlier. I can't disconnect from this drive,being it's 2nd half is the formated drive I wanted to put Windows 7 on(And, it's the largest drive I have....).
    My guess is I will have to remove the partition, and have it be--a complete 150 GB. SATA drive,with Windows 7 "migrated" into it.
     I don't have the funds to get on-line and acquire another hard drive---just the way it is...
      So, I'll send this and see what you think, about what info I've just given to you...

Again---Thank-you for your input...
                  P.S.:I really want to see want this "64-bit";when, actually "supported"---is all about.  Being that I made the move in my latest major upgrade, quite awhile ago...

Look forward to your next input... You have been a great help!
                                                                                                          Sincerely,
                                                                                                                            Joseph A. Williamson                 
    Joseph Williamson
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 4:48 PM
  • I have just one other question... I have several Administrator entries, and should really have only one--two max., as i understand it.
     How, can I safely remove those, and leave just the bare minimum . I am listed as Administrator when I go into "user accounts". I tried to research this on your web site(and, many others...);but, there isn't any real "layman" examples that make this an "easy" task.
                    I hope this isn't going out of what I can inquire about;but, it would be a really BIG help,since I just can't seem to get the easy "down an clean" way--to do this. With out causing any problems..
                                                                                     Thanks again,
                                                                                                       Sincerely,
                                                                                                                        Joseph A. Williamson
    Joseph Williamson
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Well I'm not sure what site you have been looking at , because as far as i am aware i don't have a website.

As for removing Windows XP to install Windows 7, you dont need to do that, 75GB would be adequate for testing the new OS, certainly until you work out whether you like it or not. and you can dual boot even off the one Physical Hard-Drive. Basically name the second Partition something obvious, thats easily recognisable, then when you run the Windows 7 setup select that partition to install to.& will install itself there happily, and once installation is complete when the computer boots you will have a menu asking which OS you want to boot into.

Then at a later date if you decide you want more space for Windows 7 you can modify the partition sizes if needed.

When you say you have several administrator Entries, by that do you mean Users which are set up as administrators? or something else?

Good computing Practice tends to say that you should have an administrator account, which is there for installing software and drivers etc, but for general everyday use everyone who uses the computer should have seperate user accounts. The idea being i believe if you pick up something nasty in a user account it cant do as much damage as if it had administrator privilidges on your machine. However i am the only one that uses my pc, and i have two Administrator accounts, and no other accounts. The reason i have a second admnistrator account is so that i can get back into my pc if i pick up something nasty and cant get into my main account. However i do weekly backups, so if it takes me more than hour to solve a problem i just format re-install and restore from backup whatevers needed.

Sanginius
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:19 PM
  • When I said "your" web site I was referring to---and, meaning "Microsoft's TechNet site. The video I watched talked about "migrating" Windows 7 within my XP Home Edition";which, does not sound like what I really want to do. Which is to preview and run " Windows 7 64-bit".  So, I have already formated the 2nd half of the drive(150 gb.) I have already mentioned.
     I have re-named it "Windows 7 64-bit".
     And,  I'll,do as you have advised in relation to doing the actual install, once the file becomes available on May 5.  By the way, I have gone to Microsoft's web area and gotten the Product Key for the 64-bit version of Windows 7(just today..). Which I figure I will use when I am actually able to download it.
     Now, I was wondering... Do I need to create an "installation disk"??? I have read this on more than one occasion from Microsoft's TechNet area.
      If so, is their anything "special" I should do or know about prior to creating it?

Sincerely,
                                                                                   Joseph A. Williamson

Joseph Williamson
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:59 PM
  • I cant say for definite obviously as the file isnt here yet, However, taking the beta of build 7000 as a basis, i suspect that it is safe to assume that the file will be downloaded as an iso, which means that you will need a DVD-writer, blank DVD disc and Writing software to burn it to disc, the other option would be to use a program like 7-zip to extract the ISO and then put all the files from that onto a USB stick and install from that, however i suspect this option will only work if your motherboard supports the option to boot from other devices. i would suspect that you would be needing at least a 4GB USB stick if this option is supported in your bios. Apart fom that there shouldnt be anything special required, just a little patience while it is installing, however, one piece of advice i would give you in advance, would be to download 64 bit drivers for your hardware just now, while everything is operational, its very hard to get online if you are missing drivers for your network card for example. If you cant find Windows 7 beta drivers for a bit of Hardware, then you can use Vista 64 drivers, obviously a lot of hardware will install automatically, but its best to have a backup plan in advance. One other thing, when the build 7000 was installed, by default any harddrive that had a previous OS on it didnt show up by default in Windows, it could be made to be visible through computer management, and theres a lot of posts here about that, but it might be worthwhile putting all drivers on a different drive, if you have another available, or an external hdd, or write them to disc / usb stick as well so you know where they are.

Sanginius
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Can I download and install the 64-bit version...? Remember, I said I was running Windows XP Home Edition(32-bit). WILL--- this Windows 7 64-bit, allow me to make a 2nd bootable OS,when it is 64-bit??? 
    I've been reading as I am downloading (as I speak)--that, the instructions for installation say: I can't!  IF--I put this on a separate partition--I should be able to ..Right??!
     I do not want to waste this time, being I could just as easily download the OLD 32-bit version;but, I DO have the capability to actually RUN 64-bit processing?!
              PLEASE--REPLY....A.S.A.P.!
                                                            Thanks,
                                                                                                                                                                     Joe
    Joseph Williamson
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Question: Can I download and install the 64-bit version...?
    Answer: Yes

My first try was with a 32 bits XP on one partition. I used 7zip to open the iso file, and put the contents in a directory, and then just launched it (it being windows beta build 7000 x64). It installed nicely to the second partition. (during the install it just copies a bunch of files to a location the install seems to like, reboots and proceeds).
    btw I just finished the install of Windows RC x64 the same way.
    So my windows XP 32 bits machine became a Windows 7 64 bits machine.

Robert Heinlein once said something like: Listen carefully to all people explaining why things cannot be done, and than just do it.

Regards

Rem
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, June 29, 2009 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:49 AM
  • BUT, The question is--can I implement/integrate it(the 64-bit) within my 32-bit xp version... I think not....
    BUT,(and, also...) I  am in the process of downloading "both" 32 and 64-bit versions...as I speak..
       The funny thing is..the 32-bit download started b/4 the 64-bit;but, the 32-bit download will finish b/4 the 64...go figure.. Must of been a better connection with the 32-bit version.  Now, once I complete the 64-bit... From what I figure.. the data is to be burned to a DVD;then, installed from there??
    Or, from what Zeus76 says: I just "create" a file--call it, whatever(within the new partition...)--then, load the files into that created file.    Which would be on my newly created partition... Then, go on with the "install" from there.
    Now, as you might of read in my prior e-mails, I have the capability of actually having "dual boot". Which, I never have even used before now...
    If---you've read those early e-mails, you'll know what older motherboard(but, still quite good...) that I am running with,(PLUS) I have a AMD 64X2 4600 CPU----running just fine--with almost 4gigs. of bootable ram.

SO---as before....PLEASE...e-mail back as soon as, which of you two can...
                                                                     I'm staying up---to get this OS...work'in...
                                                                                                                                      Peace,
                                                                                                                                                      Ole' Joe                                                  
    Joseph Williamson
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Ok here is;
    I triple boot on three partitions. (having used the above mentionned "method")
    1st partition: xp pro 32 bits
    2nd partition: windows 7 build 7000 beta
    3rd partition: windows 7 rc build 7100

No special boot software or whatsoever.
    As far as your question :"can I implement/integrate it(the 64-bit) within my 32-bit xp version" is concerned, I do not really understand what you mean by "integrate within". If you are trying to have 2 window versions (32 and 64 bits) on 1 partition, the answer is no.
    btw stop wheening about old mobos. Yours is fine. Windows 7 is a lot more machine friendly than Vista ever was. 7 will run on computers which make Vista choke.

Regards

Rem
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:07 AM
  • BY the way---I wasn't "whinning"... I merely was stating a fact. BUT, it's nice to know that I'm O.K. in that regard.
     I just completed the 32-bit download;but, the file turned out to be "corrupt. So... I'm back at re-downloading the 32-bit version.
      I do-------appreciate your input as to what you have already done with the several downloads of this program(OS).
        Once I get a usable download--then, it's off to the races...

P.S.: I had already figured there wasn't a chance in Heck..that, I'd be able to install a 64-bit within a 32-bit OS;but, I'm kinda tired and wasn't really thinking..

Peace,
                                                                                                           Ole' Joe
    Joseph Williamson
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:25 AM
  • LOL I was merely kidding you know. There are so many people around that want a state of the art computer but only use the thing for surfing and e-mail purposes (I don't say that's your case though).

File corruption seems to be fairly common with the 7 downloads. Not a lot we (end-users) can do about it.
    In fact, the reason I started using 7zip to do it "my" way was that I burned a fresh clean DVD with a corrupted 7 iso. A mistake you only make once. Now I open the iso with 7zip, extract the contents to wherever I want, and run the install. At least I'm sure the iso is not corrupted that way.

Good luck.

btw on your computer performance differences between 32 bits and 64 bits are NULL. So just take the first one that works, and be happy with it.

Regards

Rem 
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:01 AM
  • It's cool....
    That's a real bummer,man... NO difference between the two versions as in "speed" and "performance"??!!
     Now... I wonder why I even went with CPU(and, MB) that support that favor(64-bit). Except for actual speed increase and performance(already a given..) with the upgrade.

I was really wishing and hoping that, once I ever got an OS that actually "supported" 64-bit---I just might see what ALL the talk was about?!

Major...bummmer....

Thanks for the additional(lowered expectations...) information;but, it's better to honest...

Ole' Joe 
    Joseph Williamson
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Don't get me misunderstood, x64 is faster... when the computer hardware allows it. Memory management is one of the culpits. 32 bits will not do with more than 4 Gb of RAM (and of those 4 only 3 will directly serve the interface. There are quite a lot of differences (and on this site there a some threads about it), but with the hardware you mention as being yours, you will not find an increase of speed using 7 x64.

Regards

Rem
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:27 AM
  • ZEUS76,
      I need to know what the "work-around" is for that file in Windows 7 RC that keeps looking for a file(Winload.exe" which is a VISTA file.)that isn't there in the 1st place.
         I'm running XP !!!!
       IT won't let me choose on boot-up which OS to load---because IT can't find this file!!!??

Well, NOW---I know why I haven't been able to actually GET into the Windows 7 RC program!!!!!!!!!
                                                       THIS-----is the culprit!!!!
                               IF--------someone there reads this-PLEASE... HELP ME OUT...
                                                                                        Sincerely,
                                                                                                            Joseph A. Williamson

• Edited by jaw69 Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:02 AM The real problem;but,I need a "work-around.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:50 AM