none
Deploying an image to a drive to install in another PC RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to deploy an image to a drive then take that drive to another location, install it, change the PC name and so on?

I know I can deploy offline but was trying to eliminate the time the client computer is down.

I was hoping I could pull down an image at our shop with the drivers for the client PC then take that drive to the client, install it and run a few small scripts to activate windows, rename the PC, assign it's SID and so on.

I am not sure this is possible with the way the image is deployed but figured  I would ask.

This would be similar to a Ghost approach of just copying drives.

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:11 PM

Answers

• Sysprep.exe is the tool/process for ripping out a drive on machine X for machine Y.

Most people don't actually remove the drive and place into another computer, instead they use a tool like Ghost and/or WIM files to capture the contents and extract out later, the OS just *KNOWS* it's on a different computer, and begins the process of reenumerating the devices/drivers from scratch. If your machines has *mostly* the same devices, then the process might work out just fine, otherwise you will need to account for new drivers in the new device.

Now if you are deploying to the *Exact* same kind of hardware (you have a lab of 100 computers of the same configuration), then you can look at PersistAllDeviceInstalls. It's ideal for some automated Virtual environments where speed is important, but most users don't need it.

However, for most users, the idea of setting all this up manually is a pain, and that's *EXACTLY* what MDT was designed to handle, MDT can easily take a syspreped captured image and manage it like any other image for OS deploymetns.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:34 AM

All replies

• You can create a custom image with updates and such. You can install your custom image in around the same time it would have taken you to use something like ghost.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:31 PM
  • My main question would be then, when I install the image does it have to be done on the final destination computer? Can the image be installed on a hard drive in a temporary computer (technicians computer) then the drive removed and installed in the clients computer? Would it still populate the Sid and everything based on the clients computer? Thanks, Scott
    Friday, September 2, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Not without sysprep.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Friday, September 2, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Also unless the hardware is 100% the same, throwing that drive into the new computer is going to be an issue.

Friday, September 2, 2016 7:53 PM
  • That's what I thought. I didn't know if you could essentially load the other drive up and have everything "initialize" at boot up of the client machine. From what I could tell MDT does all of that during the loading. Thanks for your help!
    Friday, September 2, 2016 9:20 PM
  • Sysprep.exe is the tool/process for ripping out a drive on machine X for machine Y.

Most people don't actually remove the drive and place into another computer, instead they use a tool like Ghost and/or WIM files to capture the contents and extract out later, the OS just *KNOWS* it's on a different computer, and begins the process of reenumerating the devices/drivers from scratch. If your machines has *mostly* the same devices, then the process might work out just fine, otherwise you will need to account for new drivers in the new device.

Now if you are deploying to the *Exact* same kind of hardware (you have a lab of 100 computers of the same configuration), then you can look at PersistAllDeviceInstalls. It's ideal for some automated Virtual environments where speed is important, but most users don't need it.

However, for most users, the idea of setting all this up manually is a pain, and that's *EXACTLY* what MDT was designed to handle, MDT can easily take a syspreped captured image and manage it like any other image for OS deploymetns.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:34 AM
  • Thanks for the info!
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:20 PM