Vista Junction (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) RRS feed

• Question

• Mistakenly changed permissions (removed all users and made administrators owner and the only user) on the Application Data folder over a month ago, and I foolishly forgot what the permissions were set as. Is there any way to reset the permissions on this folder so my applications do not go through the endless loop?

Also the folder is stating it's 12GB in size, is this information correct?

Edit:
    Is 37.8GB in size, not 12GB
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It exists for legacy applications that have hard-coded the C:\Documents and Settings\ path. However, it simply points to the Users folder (that's why the folder is shown as a shortcut) so no, it's not in use anymore.

However, I'm seeing that on that folder, System and the Administrators group have special permisions. Everyone is denied to read access.

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:31 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Documents and settings folder is no longer used in Vista, instead there is the Users folder. Do you mean the C:\Users\Default\AppData folder?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Excuse me? Documents and Settings is a "Junction" folder within Vista and is still used.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

It exists for legacy applications that have hard-coded the C:\Documents and Settings\ path. However, it simply points to the Users folder (that's why the folder is shown as a shortcut) so no, it's not in use anymore.

However, I'm seeing that on that folder, System and the Administrators group have special permisions. Everyone is denied to read access.

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Correct it's a junction for legacy applications, but it's still being used.

Explain why it's taking up half my hard drive space, when all other folders/directories add up to 37.3GB of a 74GB array and only 13.4GB free.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 12:20 PM