none
Can I run Project Standard on a Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be having a bit of difficulty understanding the whole Project "Server" idea. Currently, we have a server that we can install software on that allows access to the software to a number of users. I'm not our IT guy, so I don't know exactly how this all works. However, I am the guy trying to decide which scheduling software to buy, so I need to understand how Microsoft Project can be utilized. 

So my question: Let's say that we have 4 people in our office that would want access to scheduling software. Would we need to buy 4 stand-alone licensed versions of Project Standard 2010, or is there a product that we can install on our server that will allow access to the program for all of us? The Project Professional, SharePoint, and Server seem to be overkill for what we need.

My understanding is that even if we purchased Server 2010 and SharePoint 2010 then we would still have to purchase a copy of Project Pro 2010 for each PC. Is this correct?

Thanks

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• mattsears18 --

In a small organization such as yours, yes, I agree that Project Server 2010 would really be overkill.  Therefore, I would recommend that forget about it and not spend the money on this software.

In your organization, you have two versions of Microsoft Project 2010 that would work for you:  the Standard or the Professional version.  The Standard version is a bit cheaper, but it lacks a couple of very nice desktop features that are found only in the Professional version.  Two of these features that I think are very useful are the Team Planner view and the Inactivate Task feature.  The four of you could certainly manage your projects well using the Standard version, but I personally really like the Professional version for those two extra powerful features.

The four of you would each need a licensed copy of Microsoft Project 2010.  And then you are off and running.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:02 PM