Some system sounds not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have done a 'clean' install of windows 7  home premium 64bit French and that went all ok. For some days all worked fine, but now, some system sounds do not work anymore.
    No startup sound anymore, no 'empty recycle bin' sound, no 'peripheral connect' and no 'peripheral disconnect' sounds. When i go to the personalization options for sound, the sound preview button aint working either. I checked that all the sounds are still there, and yes, these are still there and i can play these in WMP, exception made of the starup sound which seems to be very small and doesn't play at all.
    Now my questions:
    1) Where could i find the original startup sound since the one in Media seems corrupted?
    2) Is it possible that a corrupted starup sound makes that some system sounds do not work?

I must add that I didn't mess in any way with the sounds, my soundcard is a realtek high definition audio (built-in) and that its latest drivers are installed.

BTW I also have a problem with my buit-in SD card reader which now in windows 7 does not recognize cards over 2GB, although in vista64 ultimate I have no problems reading these. I also noticed some strange behavior of my external usb keyboard: Numeric pad keys make the num lock state change (???!!???)

My pc is an Acer 5680 laptop connected to external display and external mouse and keyboard.

Any ideas or comments would be most appreciated... I am out of ideas right now
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you play the startup sound in Media (C:\Windows\Media) by doubling click it directly? If not, the file is corrupt, copy the same file from another working PC and replace it.

Regarding to other system sounds that works on wmp, check the sound settings from Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound, there are four tabs, under "Sound" tab, Select the "Program Events" you like and make sure "Play Windows startup sound" has been checked.

Lastly, you can create a new account to check if this user profile has been corrupted:

Create a new user account
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 25, 2009 8:20 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Hi Alain,

What is the Sound Scheme you are using? Is it Festivo or other sound scheme?

Since the issue first occurred recently, please first try System Restore to restore the system to the previous date and see if the issue can be resolved. To do so, please go to Start, type system restore in to the Search box and then press Enter. Follow the wizard to restore the system to the date before the issue occurred.

If the issue persists, please check if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, based on other customers' feedback, the issue can be related to the sound card. Please uninstall and reinstall it to see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2. Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3. Right-click the installed Sound Card and then click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer and check if the issue can be resolved.

Besides, all the system sound files are stored in C:\Windows\Media. Please check if the sound files can be played properly using Windows Media Player. Some sounds files are short and light. Please provide the music file name and its location for us. We will help to check it and see if it is by design. If you are sure the music file is damaged,  you can scan the system files by the steps below to repair it:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Regarding the built-in SD card reader issue, please post a new thread since the two issues are not related. J

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 25, 2009 8:17 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you play the startup sound in Media (C:\Windows\Media) by doubling click it directly? If not, the file is corrupt, copy the same file from another working PC and replace it.

Regarding to other system sounds that works on wmp, check the sound settings from Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound, there are four tabs, under "Sound" tab, Select the "Program Events" you like and make sure "Play Windows startup sound" has been checked.

Lastly, you can create a new account to check if this user profile has been corrupted:

Create a new user account
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 25, 2009 8:20 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Hi Alain,

What is the Sound Scheme you are using? Is it Festivo or other sound scheme?

Since the issue first occurred recently, please first try System Restore to restore the system to the previous date and see if the issue can be resolved. To do so, please go to Start, type system restore in to the Search box and then press Enter. Follow the wizard to restore the system to the date before the issue occurred.

If the issue persists, please check if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, based on other customers' feedback, the issue can be related to the sound card. Please uninstall and reinstall it to see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Click "Start", input "Device Manager" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press "Enter".

2. Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.

3. Right-click the installed Sound Card and then click Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer and check if the issue can be resolved.

Besides, all the system sound files are stored in C:\Windows\Media. Please check if the sound files can be played properly using Windows Media Player. Some sounds files are short and light. Please provide the music file name and its location for us. We will help to check it and see if it is by design. If you are sure the music file is damaged,  you can scan the system files by the steps below to repair it:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Regarding the built-in SD card reader issue, please post a new thread since the two issues are not related. J

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 25, 2009 8:17 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:13 AM