none
Changing the project owner does not result in the new owner being granted site access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an issue where changing a project owner within PWA grants the owner access to the schedule and PDP's but not to the project site.
    In order to grant access to the site we need to do a syncronise from server settings, or assign the owner to a task in the schedule and publish the schedule. Neither of these workarounds is ideal. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has a better option?

Many thanks.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hello Franko

in order to sync the user to project site workspace synchronization needs to be done which as you mentioned OOB should be done either by using Sync from server settings or publishing, aprat from this customization seems to be the workaround, you can write a simple piece of code and kick the synchronization and attach it to custom field updated event handler, hence it would automatically kick the synchronization as soon as any custom field is updated (you can build logic inside on when you would want it to execute)

As a starting point you may refer to : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/websvcwssinterop.wssinterop_di_pj14mref_methods.aspx

having method "QueueSynchronizeMembershipForWssSite" which would do the required

Let us know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Hi Sunil, thanks for that. It doesn't make sense though that you should have to do either of these. You would think that changing the owner would be enough to trigger a sync to the site of the new owner and grant them permissions. Is this normal behaviour?
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Hello Franko

This is the normal behaviour, and there are many reasons because of which system has been designed so, one of the example would be, how would tool know wether you are changing any field for your own purpose i.e. draft save or you want to share it with others i.e. publish and thats the same way owner change behaves when you want others to know do a publish and it will sync, but as said there are many other reasons for the design to be such

Let me know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Hi Sunil,

Thanks for coming back to me on this, I checked what happens if you change the owner and then do a publish of the project without assigning the new owner to a task, and the new owner still does not receive site access. It seems to be, that it is the assigning of the new owner to a task that makes the difference. This still seems more complex than it needs to be if all we want to do is grant access to a new project owner to a project and site. In fact it almost makes setting the owner value redundant don't you agree?

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:43 AM