Application slow when run from a specific path RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have encountered an issue on one Windows 7 Enterprise x64 machine. An Application is slower by the factor of about 10 when run from a specific path. If i remove a space from the path it is normally fast. If I add it back the application is slow again. What could be the issue here?

Thank you in advance, best regards

Edit:

I realized that I prematurely asked this question and there probably is a really good reason for this. I should first try to investigate with the Visual Studio Performance tools.

Edit:

Is is a scientific application and calculations run slower, there should not be any I/O tasks ongoing for these operations and the target machine had plenty of space left of the 32GB of RAM.

• Edited by fassl_ Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:01 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 7:08 PM

All replies

• So, is this sorted now  ?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Hi,

In advance, sorry if I misunderstand your question.
    I can hardly understand why the application can be run after removing a space from the path.
    Do you have the same application in different path?

Could you provide both path before removing a space and after removing it?

Regards, 

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

What is the path in which the app runs slow and what is the path in which the app runs fast?

If it is a shared path, what if you access it from other machine? What if you access other files under the shared path?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:46 AM
  • No it is not, but i thought that maybe I should have tried to monitor the performance before submitting the question.
    • Edited by fassl_ Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot either, it seems really strange to me.

The path where it is slow is:

E:\Program Files\MatCalc 6

The path where it is fast is:

E:\Program Files\MatCalc6

or any other path is fine too.

It is the same harddrive and the executables and data files are exactly the same if you compare the folders with WinDiff.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:52 PM
  • I put the paths in the reply above. It is not a shared path, it is a path on a local harddrive. Both paths are on the same harddrive.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Please explain how you execute it.
    If you make a batch file or script, provide it. If you do it manually, explain it step by step.

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:24 AM
  • Nothing strange here, I just executed it by double-clicking the application in the Explorer.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

I have a few concern :

1. The path you provided is E:\Program Files\MatCalc 6, MatCalc 6 is a folder or a .exe file?
    2. You mentioned you have tried other path, what are they? What if you move the file to the path D:\MatCalc 6 or D:\MatCalc6

As I know, if the MatCalc is a exe file, you’d better not change the default name or path, since its name or default path may be written in the registry. If you changed the path or the name of application, I think the system will take a few time to find it.

In addition, I suggest you can use Process Monitor to capture the system event when you open it in different path. You can upload the files you captured and highlighted which file is the slow/fast path. In this way, we can see the details on the issue for further research.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:32 AM
  • Hi fassl_,

I have just installed "MacCalc 6.00" (64-bit, free version) with default settings in a virtual machine (Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit).
    It was installed in a folder "C:\Program Files\MatCalc 6" (there is one space before "6").

If you have NOT installed "MacCalc 6" twice, i.e. installed only once, there should NOT exist in two folders, should only one folder. In your case, it should be "E:\Program Files\MatCalc 6" (one space exists).

So, I'm afraid what you mentioned may be wrong. Please insert screenshot of File/Windows Explorer.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

P.S.

I forgot to mention:
      According to your description, your "Program Files" folder is in E drive, instead of C.
      It is not usual. So, I suppose you have more than mentioned.
      Please explain the further details about your environment.

• Edited by Ashidacchi Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:44 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:15 AM
  • Hi vivian.

1. The Path is the folder name of the Application, the Application name is mcg.exe. So i start E:\Program Files\MatCalc 6\mcg.exe. 
    2. E:\Program Files\MatCalc6\mcg.exe is fine.
      E:\Program Files\MatCalc test\mcg.exe is fine.
      It is fine on any other path on any other harddrive i have tested.

"E:\Program Files\MatCalc 6" is the only path having this issue.

I will try to investigate it further with ETW, Process Monitor and Visual Studio performance tools but it will take me some time as I did not do such things before and the machine is a colleagues machine so in addition to that i have to coordinate this investigation with another person. I just thought maybe someone encountered such issue as well and would have an explanation for this.

• Edited by fassl_ Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:25 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

The Application is installed with different versions into different paths of this machine.  I am not too sure about too much details of the environment, there is one SSD and two HDDs one of which is the E drive afaik. Its a Win 7 Enterprise x64 on an i7 with 32gigs of RAM.

If i rename "E:\Program Files\MatCalc 6" to "E:\Program Files\MatCalc6" the application is normally fast, if i add the space back it is slow again.

I will capture a screencast as soon as possible hopefully tomorow and post it here. I will record the fast path and the slow path, and if there is any information you want recorded as well please let me know.

best regards

Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Hi fassl_

According to your description, different version of MatCalc are installed on the same drive (of course, in different folder). And the drive is HDD (not SSD).
    I believe your machine spec is more than average. And I cannot find the reason of slowness, as for based on hardware spec. Performance, speed is varied by software version. 

Returning to the first, (1) why do you rename the installed folder. Is it necessary?
    We do not know internal behavior of MatCalc. The software may memorize its install-folder when it is installed. If so, renaming folder makes MatCalc to be confused, i.e. MatCalc must think where it is, must search its location. This must cause the slowness. As a software developer, I never want users to change install folder of my software. I cannot give assurance of its behavior. 
    And you did not answer my question: (2) why "Program Files" is in "E" drive?Please answer (1) and (2). 

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:27 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

we renamed the folder because that was the last thing we haven't tried in search for what is causing this issue. We tried reinstalling it in different versions to see where the bottleneck was introduced, but couldn't reproduce this issue. We then installed even the same version to a different path and could not reproduce the issue. Then we just renamed that folder and the issue was gone. Re-added the space, the issue was back. It is just this one folder which has this issue. We haven't tried to install another version into this particular folder to not break this issue and be still able to investigate. I guess it is installed into E as C drive is full. We develop this application and i cannot think of any reason why it would slow down on any path, we are not doing any I/O during calculation and the app is fully started. Also we do not care where you install the application. It is not reproducible on any other machine on any other OS so far so i would not say it is an development issue but rather something wrong with this particular machine.

Edit: I am not saying that i completely bail out the possibility of a development issue and i should try to investigate this with some performance tools soon.

best regards

• Edited by fassl_ Friday, October 27, 2017 3:21 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 3:15 AM
  • Hi fassl_,

Thank you for your explanation.

I could understand why "Program Files" folder is located in "E" drive.
    (This is an off-topic. I have several drives in a computer, and am used to making folder name unique between drives, e.g. H:\Tools_1, I:\Tools_2) 

And I'd like to say about my result, renaming "C:\Program Files\MatCalc 6" "C:\Program Files\MatCalc6".
    There exist no difference between them. After renaming "C:\Program Files\MatCalc6" "C:\Program Files\MatCalc 6" (i.e. back to original), MatCalc is as fast as before.

So, I suspect if "E" drive has some I/O faults. Have you checked E drive, using "CHKDSK /F /R" in cmd.exe? Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Friday, October 27, 2017 3:48 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

good point, i haven't done a checkdisk yet! I will try that and also see if some AntiVirus might cause this issue. Also i found yesterday that Windows has some built-in performance monitoring where you can monitor specific Applications. Maybe even that executable in that exact path is monitored and causes a slow-down. Thanks so far, will report back the findings.

best regards

Friday, October 27, 2017 1:41 PM
  • hi

What is going on?

Have you benefit from the suggestions?

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:35 AM