BUG: dragging from full screen causes "Assertion Failed" "WM_SIZING ..." RRS feed

• Question

• When I move a window to the top of the screen Windows 7 automatically full screens it for you. Nice, sometimes, but annoying.  Anyway, When i drag it back down (unstick it from fullscreen) i get an "Assertion Failed" window saying "WM_SIZING contains bad value". This happens for every application. Comes up with a "Sent information" window, which I've done, but no fixes are found.
    • Edited by ai-a Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:58 AM

Answers

• I just had this bug come up, tried Windows Update graphics drivers, nVidia Download ones and even no drivers. Nothing changed.. Then the comment on here regarding other applications caught my eye and I remembered I'm running allSnap, an app that snaps windows to the desktop and other windows. As soon as I disabled it the bug stopped occuring.

Nidonocu C:\>
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:21 AM

All replies

• The video driver is making an error. You will have to try to find better video driver or monitor drivers.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Hmmmmm, well im sure i have the latest drivers, i gather windows 7 might be having issues.. However, if nobody else can reproduce this error, then it must be a driver issue.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:38 PM
  • ai-a,

What video card do you have? Most major video card companies have new drivers out for Windows 7 now.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:09 AM
    Answerer
  • works fine on my end. i've got ATI 2400HD...updated drivers via windows update

Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:44 AM
  • I'm seeing this bug as well. It's happened on Windows 7 Beta and the RC. I'm using an Nvidia 8800 GT, and I've seen the error with the drivers downloaded from Windows Update as well as from nvidia.com. I'm currently using the 185.85 release. Oddly, some programs work fine while others don't. I don't see the error when dragging maximized Explorer or Microsoft Office windows, or any of the built in games (Solitare, Minesweeper, etc). However, when I use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Windows Media Player, or Windows Live Messenger, I'll get the error. I mostly wanted to let ai-a know he wasn't the only one experiencing this strange problem!
    • Proposed as answer by dravus69 Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:37 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Sorry, It's been a while since I've responded to this post. However, I am still getting the same issue after updating the graphics card drivers to nVidia 8.15.11.8603 (Computer mangement) in nVidia it says driver version 186.03.  Anyway, this happens on ALL windows, I tried on your Minesweeper and it happens too.  I am wondering if its something else ive instealled.  I created another account and tested the same in there.. and there was NO problems.. So its something,, TrayIt!, VirtualWin or my theme modification.. whatever Im using :)

I will investigate further later.

Ai-a
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:51 AM
  • Did you customize the font size for title bar windows?

I think there is a connection to this problem.

Monday, June 22, 2009 4:13 PM
  • I just had this bug come up, tried Windows Update graphics drivers, nVidia Download ones and even no drivers. Nothing changed.. Then the comment on here regarding other applications caught my eye and I remembered I'm running allSnap, an app that snaps windows to the desktop and other windows. As soon as I disabled it the bug stopped occuring.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Nidonocuous, I just read your post mentioning allSnap.  I also run that application. AND, after turning it off, it works :).. Ha, this means its an assertion within allSnap. Great, but means I cant snap my windows anymore. I'll have to look for an alternative.  At least I dont loose my work as easy :)

Ai-a
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:24 AM
  • So it was allSnap that was to blame! Thanks very much for the easy fix.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:11 AM
  • I've also sent the allSnap developer an e-mail detailing the error. Hopefully we might see an update in a month or two. :) Feel free to e-mail them too though maybe to let them know more than just one person wants to keep using allSnap!

Friday, June 26, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Disable Windows 7 Snap Feature And It Should Fix It! http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/enable-and-disable-aero-snap-docking-windows-7/
    • Proposed as answer by cworkman Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:45 AM
    • Edited by cworkman Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:47 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:44 AM