Dual-boot option RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I was using windows 2003 server and i had every application installed on it. After putting the windows 2008 cd I selected installing a new fresh window and didn't selected to upgrade my windows 2003 as i wanted to keep it. And after the installation i can see the windows 2008 but i can no longer access my windows 2003.
    Windows 2008 is in C drive and Windows 2008 is in D drive. Please help me out and tell me how can i load my windows 2003 which has installed every thing in it.

Mazhar Ali
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have a new install  of Windows Server 2008 based on Windows Server 2003, there should be a dual boot menu.

You can use the bcdedit to add the boot menu of Windows Server 2003.

I found the following article, hope it helps:

bcdedit - anyone figured it out?, bcdedit
    http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5143

How to Use the BCDEDIT Command Line Tool
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, February 9, 2009 9:28 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:12 AM

All replies

• hi there,

here is a link which explains dual boot with vista and 2008 , but the same hold good for 2008 and 2003.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/02/26/dual-boot-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008/
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

If you have a new install  of Windows Server 2008 based on Windows Server 2003, there should be a dual boot menu.

You can use the bcdedit to add the boot menu of Windows Server 2003.

I found the following article, hope it helps:

bcdedit - anyone figured it out?, bcdedit
    http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5143

How to Use the BCDEDIT Command Line Tool
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, February 9, 2009 9:28 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Hi vincent,

You are very much correct bcdedit tool should be used which many administrators miss it.

Mazhar, you can go through 3 links which talks about the same

best of luck
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:44 AM
  •  So what if I installed windows 2008 first then installed 2003?
    Windows 2008 booted perfectly fine before I installed 2003.
    After reading your thread, I tried to enter bcdedit under 2003 cmd.

c:\Windows\System32>bcdedit
    but I got this error message:
    The image file c:\Windows\System32>bcdedit\bcdedit.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine.
    People from other forum says:
    "that's becoz you try to run 64-bit Setup.exe or Winnt32.exe from inside a 32-bit version of Windows.
    "

The editions are:
    windows_server_2008_r2_datacenter_enterprise_standard_beta_dvd_x64_x15-29167 on c drive.
    and Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition on D drive.

Is there another way I can dual boot?
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Hi,

So what if I installed windows 2008 first then installed 2003?
    --->If you installed Windows Server 2008 first then installed Windows Server 2003 (I assume that you installed Windows Server 2008 in D: drive, and Windows Server 2003 in C: drive), the setup of Windows Server 2003 will overwrite the boot info of Windows Server 2008. In this way, you can only boot Windows Server 2003.

But, you can repair the boot info of Window Server 2008 with Window Server 2008 installed source, I recommend that you use DVD. Please boot the computer with DVD, choose Repair your computer. After the repair, you will get the dual boot menu.

By the way, I recommend that you use the bcdedit like this: Open a Elevated CMD prompt, and then type bcdedit.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

Friday, February 6, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Thank you so much it solved my problem:)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Actually... Recover using win08 disk booted me into win08 but I still didn't have a dual boot menu.
    I've followed the two links above:
    I've done this:
    2. Copy x:\i386\ntldr c:\
    3. Copy x:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    4. Create a boot.ini at c:\ with the following options

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS=”Microsoft Windows XP” /fastdetect
    5. Open a command prompt as administrator
    6. bcdedit /create {legacy} /d “Windows 2003”
    7. bcdedit /set {legacy} device boot
    8. bcdedit /set {legacy} path \ntldr
    9. bcdedit /displayorder {legacy} /addlast

as well as this:
    bcdedit /set {current} description "My edited Windows Boot Entry"
    bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=D:
    NOTE: Windows 2008 on C: and Windows 2003 on D:
    bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
    bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addfirst

Finally got myself a dual boot menu. Here comes a new problem :(
    However when I select" enter earlier version of windows" I got this message: "the selected entry (ntldr) could not be loaded because the applicaiton is missing or corrupt."

I am pretty sure there's one ntldr on C:. I've also copied ntldr from i386 to D:
    But I am still getting the same message...
    So now I can only boot onto win08 not win03
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Oh one more thing I want to say about the elevated command promt.
    I've followed the link that you posted:

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Click on All Programs and Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
    I've also tried all other methods, butfor some reason, I am still getting:
    C:\Users\Administrator

I couldn't copy ntldr to any drives from my CDROM. So I did it using recovery console instead...

Friday, February 6, 2009 4:10 PM
  •  Hi,

We perform some tests on local computer, and it recover the boot menu after we repared it through the Windows Server 2008 install DVD.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Ok thanks for your help I'll try to fix mine.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hello Fyi,
    this problem has been solve by
    1) installing windows 2003 Enterprise on C:
    2) with windowsserver2008datacenterx64 on D: (instead of R2 beta version)

Quite time-consuming to reinstall both systems all over but worth a try:)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:48 PM