Retention Policies stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have Exchange 2016 CU5

I have retention policies which were created under Exchange 2010

I have set these retention policies on various users

None of these people are having their mailbox cleaned up by the retention policy in 2016.

This did previously work on Exchange 2016 mailboxes but it seems to have stopped around the time that we uninstalled Exchange 2010.

I created a new Retention Policy and Tags in 2016 and applied this to a mailbox and it is still not working, even after running a start-managedfolderassistant against the mailbox.

When I turn up the logging on the Assistants, I see that the number of mailboxes in the database is not congruent with the actual number of mailboxes

Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Managed Folder Mailbox Assistant for database DB02  reached a work cycle checkpoint (Duration: 01:43:22.0341134). 23 mailboxes were successfully processed. 0 mailboxes were skipped due to errors. 0 mailboxes were processed separately. 0 mailboxes were skipped due to failure to open a store session. 0 mailboxes were retried. There are 0 mailboxes remaining on this database which will be processed during the next workcycle checkpoints.
    [PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\scripts>(get-mailbox -Database DB02).count

Tim

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:48 PM

Answers

• Sometimes it is the simplest solutions.

According to Premier at some point deletions changed from the received date in 2010 to the modified date in 2016.

For my problem user the reason that their policy was not running was that they had tagged their folders with do not archive and forgot about it.

Tim

• Marked as answer by Tim_D_Jordan Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:23 PM

All replies

• I have Exchange 2016 CU5

I have retention policies which were created under Exchange 2010

I have set these retention policies on various users

None of these people are having their mailbox cleaned up by the retention policy in 2016.

This did previously work on Exchange 2016 mailboxes but it seems to have stopped around the time that we uninstalled Exchange 2010.

I created a new Retention Policy and Tags in 2016 and applied this to a mailbox and it is still not working, even after running a start-managedfolderassistant against the mailbox.

When I turn up the logging on the Assistants, I see that the number of mailboxes in the database is not congruent with the actual number of mailboxes

Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Managed Folder Mailbox Assistant for database DB02  reached a work cycle checkpoint (Duration: 01:43:22.0341134). 23 mailboxes were successfully processed. 0 mailboxes were skipped due to errors. 0 mailboxes were processed separately. 0 mailboxes were skipped due to failure to open a store session. 0 mailboxes were retried. There are 0 mailboxes remaining on this database which will be processed during the next workcycle checkpoints.
    [PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\scripts>(get-mailbox -Database DB02).count

Tim

Tim,

Honestly this sounds like you might have deleted the arbitration mailbox that the managed folder assistant uses. Did you ensure to move all arbitration mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to 2016?

Very Respectfully,
    Dana Garcia - MCP (Designing and Deploying Microsoft Exchange Server 2016)

Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:06 AM
  • Think I still have them all, at least according to this link

https://jacob.gardiner-moon.co.uk/2015/11/26/microsoft-exchange-2013-2016-recreate-arbitration-mailboxes/

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>get-mailbox -Arbitration

Name                      Alias                ServerName       ProhibitSendQuota
    ----                      -----                ----------       -----------------
    FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8... FederatedEmail.4c... server01        1 MB (1,048,576 bytes)
    SystemMailbox{1f05a927... SystemMailbox{1f0... server01        Unlimited
    SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29... SystemMailbox{e0d... server01        Unlimited
    SystemMailbox{bb558c35... SystemMailbox{bb5... server01        Unlimited
    Migration.8f3e7716-201... Migration.8f3e771... server01        300 MB (314,572,800 bytes)
    SystemMailbox{D0E409A0... SystemMailbox{D0E... server01        Unlimited

Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

Please review application log in event viewer for some error events related to this error.

The only difference between Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016/2013 about managed folder assistant is that managed folders aren’t supported in Exchange 2016/2013. 

So check the workaround in this KB

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2919164/retention-policies-aren-t-applied-when-you-move-a-mailbox-to-exchange

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:13 AM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Sometimes it is the simplest solutions.

According to Premier at some point deletions changed from the received date in 2010 to the modified date in 2016.

For my problem user the reason that their policy was not running was that they had tagged their folders with do not archive and forgot about it.

Tim

• Marked as answer by Tim_D_Jordan Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:23 PM
  • OK. Thanks for sharing the solution.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:12 AM