The Group Policy Client Service Failed The Logon, randomly on Domain PCs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I manage a domain of 80 PC and from time to time during morning boot up some machine randomly came with this error. I have to restart a few times to get the users logged in. There are plenty of forums that tell how to resolve this issue but no one tell why is caused and how to prevent this. Is this caused by the number of GPO or a specific GPO applied to this users? If I try to log in with an Domain Administrator account the windows log in but gets me a black screen with a warning that some path is not reachable (Deskop). So until now the only solution is restart a few times. How can i solve this, so the user can login without asking me about this problem that seems like is happening more frequently? 
    thanks

New update

If i login with a Domain Admin user, the login is successful but the background is black and a notice: c:\...\desktop is unavailable. 

So standard user are stacked on Group Policy error, Admin users can log in but unusable profile. If I go with 1 ore sometimes 2-3 restart the login is successful with no other problems.

• Edited by emirjonb Thursday, July 9, 2015 2:11 PM add new information
    Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:36 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you may have a corrupt users profile

Try the following from this article, see if that works :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Cheers,

Andrew

MCSE, MCSA, VCP, CCNA, SNIA

Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant

Blog: Network Angel LinkedIn:

Note: Please remember to mark as "propose as answer" to help other members. Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Hello, 

as i mentioned there are many many forums telling how to repair it but no one telling how to prevent. My problem doesn't need repairing, with a few restart (usually 1 or 2-3) resolve the problem. I want to find the cause so the users doesn't lose time on every morning to start working

Thanks 

Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Do you have any scripts / batch files or group policies set during bootup / logon ?

Cheers,

Andrew

Note: Please remember to mark as "propose as answer" to help other members. Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:27 AM
  • Yes I have a few. Exist any limit about the scripts or group policies applied on a domain. What are the limitations?
    I have read somewhere that this problem can be caused by time skew between client and server. Does this affect login? If yes can I enlarge the time diapason to 5-10 minutes i don't need so much security.

• Edited by emirjonb Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:16 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:31 AM
  • oh yes if you have a time issue with your domain then this will cause many problems

Best way is to setup a GPO to apply to your computers to sync time with your domain controllers. Then make sure all your domain controllers are in sync with each other:

Try the following guide, see if that resolves your problem:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nepapfe/archive/2013/03/01/it-s-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory.aspx

Cheers,

Andrew

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Hello,

I'm speaking about 1-2 minute time difference, I have increased the Kerberos "Maximum tolerance for computer clock synchronization" to 15 minute, but still happens. If i login with a Domain Admin user, the login is successful but the background is black and a notice: c:/.../desktop is not accessible. 

So standard user are stacked on Group Policy error, Admin users can log in but as temporary profiles. If I go with 1 ore sometimes 2-3 restart the login is successful with no other problems.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

Seems like this issue happens to certain machines randomly. Regarding the current issue, there is a blog from MSDN, it was talking about this issue. Please refer to the following article. It may be useful to us.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/moiqubal/archive/2012/03/04/how-to-fix-quot-the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-denied-quot-error.aspx

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for the suggestion but as I mentioned I'm interested finding the cause of problem so I can eliminate this scenario. My solution is only restarting the machine a few times but I don't want to lose time every morning doing thins on random machines

Thanks 

Monday, July 13, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

That’s also why we provide you that solution to help you get rid of this “reboot machines every morning” situation. Based on most of cases, it is caused by corrupted user or cached user profiles, and Windows won’t read these profile correctly.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks again, but i insist that is not related to any specific profile, I have tried every account on my domain and still get the same result. Is something related to windows in general and not to a specific profile.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 8:06 AM