none
Bitmap is incorrect

Question

• Performed an in place upgrade after troubleshooting partition problem with version 1607 to 1703 upgrade.

Once on desktop performed chkdsk which displayed errors.

With dirty drive performed chkdsk /f /r which took approximately 5 and 1/2 hours.

When it finished it displayed:

Automatic Repair

Your PC did not start correctly.  Press restart to restart your PC which can sometimes fix the problems.  You can also press advanced options to try other options to repair your PC.

Advanced options was selected then start up settings the option 6 safe mode with command prompt.

chkdsk was ran again and it indicated that the Bitmap is incorrect.  An option was to run chkdsk /scan

shutdown /r was entered and it booted from safe mode to the lock screen or wall paper.  It did not respond to enter or return and did not go to the log on screen.  The computer is currently off.

The current version is 1703 build 15063.0.  Another identical model computer was upgraded using the windows update option. The version on this other computer is also 1703 but the build is 15063.138.

How do you troubleshoot chkdsk errors after chkdsk /f /r with bitmap is incorrect?

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:48 PM

All replies

• From my search, The error messages (The Master File Table's bitmap is incorrect) do not necessarily mean that there is problem with the drive. 

The reason you are seeing these errors is because when you run CHKDSK from a command prompt, it runs in "Read only" mode, and the state of the computer is changing at the time you run the utility. A "read only" chkdsk on an active NTFS volume will result in false positive errors.

I suggest to execute a repair upgrade on this computer, then update system to the latest build 15063.138.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Thx  I appreciate the reply.  While waiting I already did a clean install.  It was explained to me that I should have just done a chkdsk /r and then have the bad clusters in a report.  Then potentially that report could be analyzed for a repair.  The chkdsk /f repair unfortunately got rid or critical clusters.  So it boot only to wall paper/lock screen and never advanced to logon or desktop.  Now I have to restore the files from the internal hard drive in the secondary bay to the primary bay.

Some have recommended keeping the OS on one drive with applications and files on a second drive.  In this case they are already on a second drive.  But I don't yet know how to properly configure this setup so that the fewest number of clicks save files to the storage drive instead of the drive which has the operating system.

I'm not sure that i want to do this yet as I have a limited number of internal storage drives but I definitely want to learn how to do it.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:35 AM
  • The release version of 1703 is build 15063.0 . If all currently available updates have been installed winver will show build 10563.138 .

Bill

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. 

If you have solved problem or used system normally, please mark your reply to close this case

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:38 AM