Outlook 2016 stuck on processing RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having this issue at one customer location, only on 2 computers.  They have an Office 365 Business Premium account (hosted Exchange) and had no issues at all until forced to upgrade to Office 2016.

On the machines in question, Outlook will stop opening properly, getting stuck at the Processing screen.

I can fix it by deleting the .ost and .nst files, but the problem then comes back a week or so later. 

I can also fix it by running a Full Repair, rebooting, creating a test profile, logging in to that profile briefly, then logging in to the original profile.  Still, the problem returns.

Neither of these fixes is something that I want to do every week.  

Safe Mode doesn't work, as Outlook won't open in Safe Mode, instead I get a message that Outlook needs to be repaired, but the Repair button does nothing, doesn't run anything. Totally useless.

There are no problem add-ins.  When I can finally open Outlook again, I check and they're not using any 3rd party add-ins and I've gotten rid of anything unneeded.

On one of the computers, I ended up downgrading the user to Office 2013 and haven't had the problem since.  Unfortunately, Office 2013 is no longer included in their O365 Business Premium package, so I had to use a different copy.  Kinda crappy since their license is for 5 version of Office per user and I'm having to install separate copies to make it work.

Now, the problem is occurring on a 3rd computer.  I'm pretty sick of this and hoping MS will acknowledge this as an issue and release some kind of update or fix soon.  I see many other users posting about the same issue.  

Anyone else know where to go with this issue?

The version they're running right now is: 16.0.6568.2025

Thanks,

John

Friday, February 26, 2016 6:59 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Please confirm if there is any third-party Anti Virus Program installed in the computer, disable it to have a try.

If the issue persists, please try to revert to an earlier version of Office 2016 for Office 365:

1.In Outlook, on the File tab, and then click Office Account.
    2.Click Update Options, and then click Disable Updates.
    Note Set a reminder on your Outlook calendar to enable updates on April 1, by clicking Enable Updates under Update Options.
    3.Open a command prompt. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for your version of Windows.
    •Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8: Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialog box. Type cmd.exe and then press OK.
    •Windows 7: Click Start, type cmd.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
    4.Enter the following command, and then press Enter.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

Note: You can replace the version number in the command if you prefer to revert to a different earlier build, such as shown in the following example.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2062

For more information about the version numbers of update branches for Office 365 clients, go to the following TechNet article.
    Version numbers of update branches for Office 365 clients

5.After the update is downloaded, if any Office applications are open, you are prompted that they need to close. Save your work and click Continue to close the applications.
    6.When the update is finished applying, start Outlook again.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 29, 2016 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Please confirm if there is any third-party Anti Virus Program installed in the computer, disable it to have a try.

If the issue persists, please try to revert to an earlier version of Office 2016 for Office 365:

1.In Outlook, on the File tab, and then click Office Account.
    2.Click Update Options, and then click Disable Updates.
    Note Set a reminder on your Outlook calendar to enable updates on April 1, by clicking Enable Updates under Update Options.
    3.Open a command prompt. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for your version of Windows.
    •Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8: Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialog box. Type cmd.exe and then press OK.
    •Windows 7: Click Start, type cmd.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
    4.Enter the following command, and then press Enter.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

Note: You can replace the version number in the command if you prefer to revert to a different earlier build, such as shown in the following example.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2062

For more information about the version numbers of update branches for Office 365 clients, go to the following TechNet article.
    Version numbers of update branches for Office 365 clients

5.After the update is downloaded, if any Office applications are open, you are prompted that they need to close. Save your work and click Continue to close the applications.
    6.When the update is finished applying, start Outlook again.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 29, 2016 12:23 PM
  • I am having the same problem. This answer is inadequate. I shouldn't have to roll my version of a Microsoft program (office 2016) in HOPE that it works on a Microsoft operating system (Windows 10) on a Microsoft machine (Surface 3). Please just fix your software. For the millionth time, please just fix your software. You just came out with a new operating system, unencumbered by previous infrastructure, and you still can't get it to work properly!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:56 AM
  • I had the same issue and failed to get it to work with the above fixes.  When I tried to search and delete the .ost files I found out that I did not have access to the file and or read only.  It occurred to me that Outlook or Windows took away my permission to read/write to this file so I went to my user directory to change permissions.  Even though it showed that I had full read/write access to the directory tree I had a feeling that I didn't.  Below are the steps I took to get Outlook to open.

1) I went to \Users\User (Where User is your profile)

2) Under the security tab select Advanced

3) Under Owner select Change

4) In the Enter the object name to select dialogue box enter you user name.  Select the Check Names button, confirm that this is you and then select OK.

5) You will now have a new option to 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' Select this and click OK.

6) This should give you full permissions to all of your files which may take a while depending on how many files are under this directory tree.  (it took me about 5-10 minutes).  You can shorten this time if you just localize where the outlook files reside, but I did my whole user directory to ensure I had full access.

7) If you still cannot open outlook then You may need to also check 'Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object'  I did not do this step but if I happen to have an issue with outlook again I'll include this step on my next go.

This worked for me so I HOPE it works for you.  Editorial comment - Why doesn't Microsoft fix this flaw or post this fix?

Sunday, May 1, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Same problem here too, so angry.

http://pauliom.com

Sunday, August 21, 2016 2:32 PM
  • I know I have zero street cred here but my solution below also worked to "unstick" the stuck on processing issue.  I assume this will work only if you have Outlook as your default mail client so change that first.

1. Go to a website or any link in a document that will automatically open an email draft.

2. If the email opens, go to your start menu and open Outlook 2016.

3. Problem solved (at least for me).

-David

• Proposed as answer by DLo76 Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Thank you David.  This easy solution worked for me too.
    Sunday, October 2, 2016 6:05 PM
  • this worked. thank you so much. happened to me probably 5 times, had been having to reinstall office 365 before found this easy fix.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Fantastic, this solution worked for me as well!
    Friday, October 28, 2016 6:33 AM
  • I've found the easiest solution is to close outlook and run outlook.exe /safe and then close that. Reopen Outlook and it's fine.

http://pauliom.com

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Incredible! Clicking the mailto: link worked! Thank you!!
    Friday, January 6, 2017 8:42 PM
  • I know I have zero street cred here but my solution below also worked to "unstick" the stuck on processing issue.  I assume this will work only if you have Outlook as your default mail client so change that first.

1. Go to a website or any link in a document that will automatically open an email draft.

2. If the email opens, go to your start menu and open Outlook 2016.

3. Problem solved (at least for me).

-David

This worked for me too. Quick and simple.

Thank you David.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:34 AM
  • RIGHT??!??? Who has time to go through a bunch of fixes every few days to get Outlook working all over again ??? Especially when we've paid for Office 365! This is so frustrating. I feel like Microsoft should reimburse all of their Office 365 subscribers since Office 2016 clearly is not working properly. So frustrated.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:25 PM