none
Add driver package to boot image on WDS/Srv2012 R2 fails with 0x80070032

Question

• Trying to add driver packages to Win10 boot- and install images in the WDS console, but all fail With "The request is not supported".

In the "Deployment-services-diags" log i find:

[WDSMMC] [base\eco\wds\wdsmgmt\src\wdsdismimage.cpp:925] Expression: , hr=0x80070032
    WDSMMC] Error: Failed to add the driver package E1D6532 [x86] at \\WDS-01\REMINST\Stores\Drivers\E1D6532.inf_x86_{22675279-B1D2-4483-B1B5-09B7DE6595BA}\E1D6532.inf to the image Windows 10 Boot_Setup (x86) in file \\MI-WDS-01.statped.no\REMINST\Boot\x86\Images\boot.wim mounted under the folder C:\Users\WDSops\AppData\Local\Temp\~$WDSMGMT.000 with error: 0x80070032.

All drivers I try to add to the boot image are PE-drivers. Something in the back of my head tells me this might be related to old DISM.exe-Version, but in SRV2012R2 dism should support Windows 10 as I've understood(?)

Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:13 PM

Answers

• I'm using the WDS-Console/Graphical Interface to try and add drivers to the images, all driver packs fail on all image types.

But I've discovered that the Version of DISM on Server 2012 R2 does not support Windows 10 -images so that must be the problem. I installed AIK 10 and manually used that Dism.exe (v. 10.x.x.) from that to add driver which worked. Guess I have to wait for Server 2016 to use the WDS-Interface to add driver packs.

(Or maybe there is a way to replace the built-in DISM on Srv2012R2 With a newer one?)

Problem partially solved, then...

Friday, May 20, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Hi RayHell,

Based on your description, you are trying to add drivers to Windows PE image, right?

What is the exact version of Windows PE?

It seems that you are trying to add drivers using DISM command.

Please try to add driver packages to a boot image using the Windows interface to have a test.

Here is an article about how to add driver packages to a boot image using the Windows interface, please check it for detailed steps.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759162(v=ws.11).aspx

In addition, to add driver packages to Win10 boot, try to install Windows 10 ADK to create a Windows 10PE, then add drivers to this Windows 10 PE, this article offers some steps for your scenario.

WinPE: Add drivers

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/dn613857.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Hi RayHell,

It is glad to hear that used that Dism.exe (v. 10.x.x.) from Windows 10 ADK works for you.

For your new question, I am afraid that there is no way to replace the built-in DISM components with a new one.

Dism command-line tool is system component and released with Windows system. It is only compatible with current system version.

It cannot be replaced with a new one. I think manually used that Dism.exe from Windows 10 ADK should meet your needs now.

Or we have to wait for Server 2016 to use the WDS-Interface to add driver packs.

Best regards

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi RayHell,

Based on your description, you are trying to add drivers to Windows PE image, right?

What is the exact version of Windows PE?

It seems that you are trying to add drivers using DISM command.

Please try to add driver packages to a boot image using the Windows interface to have a test.

Here is an article about how to add driver packages to a boot image using the Windows interface, please check it for detailed steps.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759162(v=ws.11).aspx

In addition, to add driver packages to Win10 boot, try to install Windows 10 ADK to create a Windows 10PE, then add drivers to this Windows 10 PE, this article offers some steps for your scenario.

WinPE: Add drivers

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-sg/library/dn613857.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:39 AM
  • I'm using the WDS-Console/Graphical Interface to try and add drivers to the images, all driver packs fail on all image types.

But I've discovered that the Version of DISM on Server 2012 R2 does not support Windows 10 -images so that must be the problem. I installed AIK 10 and manually used that Dism.exe (v. 10.x.x.) from that to add driver which worked. Guess I have to wait for Server 2016 to use the WDS-Interface to add driver packs.

(Or maybe there is a way to replace the built-in DISM on Srv2012R2 With a newer one?)

Problem partially solved, then...

Friday, May 20, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Hi RayHell,

It is glad to hear that used that Dism.exe (v. 10.x.x.) from Windows 10 ADK works for you.

For your new question, I am afraid that there is no way to replace the built-in DISM components with a new one.

Dism command-line tool is system component and released with Windows system. It is only compatible with current system version.

It cannot be replaced with a new one. I think manually used that Dism.exe from Windows 10 ADK should meet your needs now.

Or we have to wait for Server 2016 to use the WDS-Interface to add driver packs.

Best regards

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Hello, I have found a solution to this problem, and yes, actually you can replace/upgrade the DISM used by WDS on Server 2012, though this is clearly not a supported thing to be doing.

Basically, we need to:

• Change the working directory for WDS to point to the WAIK 10 DISM
    • Disable access to the old DISM that doesn't work with Windows 10

Steps to configure:

1. Install WAIK for Windows 10 on Server 2012 (may work for 2008 R2 as well)

2. Create a new shortcut on the desktop:

Path: "C:\Windows\System32\WdsMgmt.msc"

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM\"

3. Using the File Explorer, open C:\Windows\System32

4. Find dismapi.dll and DISM.exe and modify the file security. Currently TrustedInstaller is the owner and you can't do anything with them, so Take Control and assign your administrator account as the owner. Save these changes, then reopen the file security, add yourself, and give yourself full control over these two files.

5. Rename DISMapi.dll to DISMapi-old.dll and DISM.exe to DISM-old.exe

6. Use your custom shortcut to open WDS

You can now add drivers to any Windows 10 boot image through the WDS GUI without any problems.

The WAIK 10 DISM is backwards compatible. I have also tested using it to add drivers to Windows 7 boot images without errors.

Note, this is not thoroughly tested, so I strongly recommend testing this on backup copies of important boot images. Export them, then re-import them with a new name.

Also, since this involves renaming files in \Windows\System32, any future Windows Updates that make changes to these files may either fail or reinstate the original old non-working DISM.

So, YMMV.

• Proposed as answer by Dale Mahalko Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:45 AM
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 12:03 AM
  • Hi Dale!

I did everything but in the GUI I get this error:

The DISM API is not available on the client computer. Operations using DISM API, such as injecting drivers to boot images, are not available in this version of Windows.

I've triple checked every step, and everything looks ok.

Could you please help me?

Best regards.

Monday, August 29, 2016 2:50 PM
  • What server OS version are you using? What version of WAIK are you using?

If the directory path for DISM for your WAIK is different, then you need to use the correct path name. For me it is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM

WDS won't use this DISM unless you start it from the shortcut on the desktop. You can't just open WDS directly, MUST use the shortcut.

---------------------------------------------------

Though, I found a way to make it work without the shortcut, by adding WAIK to the front of the system environment path. This causes the system to look in the WAIK DISM directory before looking in \Windows\System32.

Navigate to: Start -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables.

Original PATH:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\

Modified PATH:

\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\

Path entries are separated by semicolons as shown here. 

Restart computer.

Now WDS works with the WAIK 10 DISM without needing the shortcut to start WDS.

Monday, August 29, 2016 10:40 PM
  • That worked! Thank you.
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Hi Dale,

You made an awesome finding. It really worked for me. Thank you very very much!!! :) 

Had to change Environment variable !!

Prior to your article, I searched a lot on internet but nothing worked.

Again many thanks!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Thanks dude! Did as instructed, worked like a charm, and on first try!
    Monday, August 14, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Tried this, and seriously that's a neat trick, but still getting "The request is not supported" error at the end.  

Doesn't work in DISM, nor WDS Util...

WDS Server is Server 2012 R2 Standard.  

Assessment and Deployment Toolkit - Windows 10 version 10.1.14393.0

Very frustrating, as I've got a beautiful Windows 10 image to deploy to 40 new PCs by the end of the year, and this is the only thing holding up my testing and verification.

Best,

JRB

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:11 PM