none
IE 9, 10 Trusted Sites is Greyed out?

Question

• Hi,

Running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit computers in a Windows Server 2008R2 domain.  One of my users needs to add a Trusted Site in IE and we just realized that the Add button on the Trusted Sites dialog box is grayed out.  And it appears this is the setting on all of our computers.  I'm assuming this is due do a Group Policy since it is affecting all of our systems.

Searching the Internet I find a lot of references to User Configuration>Windows Settings>Internet Explorer Maintenance... but I don't have those setting in my Group Policy Management Editor.  All I see is User Configuration>Policies or Preferences.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Where would a setting be that would cause the Trusted Sites Add and Remove buttons to be greyed out?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Monday, July 06, 2015 7:53 PM

Answers

• > Ok, I decided to copy over the ADMX/ADML files from the server because
    > they had newer dates.

You can merge them together from all OSes of your choice. Simply make
    sure in the case of duplicate ones to keep the newest :)

xcopy /d or robocopy /s can assist.

> Question now is, is there another way to make that zone assignment
    > without locking down everything else?  I find that most often settings
    > in the trusted zone are more individualized and I don't need to be
    > managing it for the entire company.  Suggestions on how to handle this
    > situation?

check grouppolicy.biz - Alan has a tutorial on how to do this.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

You need to install Administrative Templates (ADMX) on your server 2008 r2,for configure ie10&ie11 features;

Administrative Templates (ADMX)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6243

Then you can check this article for configure trusted sites on ie 10 via Gpo;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2014/08/19/how-to-add-web-sites-to-trusted-sites-via-gpo-from-dc-installed-ie10-or-higher-ie-version.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Elaine JingModerator Wednesday, July 08, 2015 1:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lkubler Friday, July 10, 2015 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, July 07, 2015 8:11 AM
  • > realized that the Add button on the Trusted Sites dialog box is grayed
    > out.  And it appears this is the setting on all of our computers.  I'm

This happens because one of the following settings is enabled in one of
    your GPOs:

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 2:43 PM
  • I installed the Administrative Templates but I don't see how that changed anything.  I read the blog article you referenced but I don't see how that applies, I'm not trying to add sites to trusted via GP I'm trying to allow users to add their own.  Everyone's needs are different in this case.

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Linn

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:19 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Martin but I cannot find those settings in my policy editor.  The site you referenced indicates that I can find this setting under User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\.

However, in my policy editor I have User Configuration\Policies or User Configuration\Preferences, no Administrative Templates.

Under Policies I have Administrative Templates but it only contains Microsoft Outlook 2010 settings.

I ran a gpresults /h gpresults.html but I don't see anything that would be affecting security zones in IE at all.

Very frustrating.

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:01 PM
  • > However, in my policy editor I have User Configuration\Policies or User
    > Configuration\Preferences, no Administrative Templates.

ADM templates are in Configuration\Policies.

> Under Policies I have Administrative Templates but it only contains
    > Microsoft Outlook 2010 settings.

Then in your company, someone created a central store and populated it
    with the Office 2010 ADMX templates. He obviously forgot to copy the
    Windows related ADMX templates...

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Monday, July 13, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Ok, not completely understanding what you said I went to the Internet and found a Microsoft MSDN article https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530196.aspx on Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide.

Under scenario 2: Editing Doman-Based GPOs with ADMX Files, it says populate the central store with ADMX files and gives directions for copying them from a Windows Vista workstation.  I'm not running Vista but I have to wonder, do I want to copy the files from my Windows 7 workstation or copy the ADMX/ADML files from my Domain Controller, which is a Windows Server 2008 R2?

It looks like the files all have the same names so one will over write the other.  Which one's should I use.  And what about my Windows 8.1 workstations, should I copy those over?  I'm guessing they are newer than either of the others.

Lastly, looking over the ADMX files the only thing I see that looks like an IE file is inetres.admx, is that the one I'm interested in?  Are there differences between ADMX files for IE9, 10 & 11?

Thanks,

Linn

Monday, July 13, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Ok, I decided to copy over the ADMX/ADML files from the server because they had newer dates.  Now I can find the Site to Zone Assignment setting and it is Enabled and now I remember why.  We have an appliance that I wanted listed in the Intranet Zone for everyone and this must have been the only way I could think of to accomplish that.

Question now is, is there another way to make that zone assignment without locking down everything else?  I find that most often settings in the trusted zone are more individualized and I don't need to be managing it for the entire company.  Suggestions on how to handle this situation?

Thanks,

Linn

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:07 PM
  • > Ok, I decided to copy over the ADMX/ADML files from the server because
    > they had newer dates.

You can merge them together from all OSes of your choice. Simply make
    sure in the case of duplicate ones to keep the newest :)

xcopy /d or robocopy /s can assist.

> Question now is, is there another way to make that zone assignment
    > without locking down everything else?  I find that most often settings
    > in the trusted zone are more individualized and I don't need to be
    > managing it for the entire company.  Suggestions on how to handle this
    > situation?

check grouppolicy.biz - Alan has a tutorial on how to do this.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:49 AM
  • Hi lkubler,

you need to follow this post and find-out the solution step by step in post,

http://www.ittechpoint.com/2015/07/adding-websites-to-trusted-zone-in-internet-explorer-through-gpo.html

As i think there is a policy issue may be happened in your network, but through registry setting policy you can make changes for all users.

==========================================================

Pls mark my this as ans if this helped you to find solution

pwnkmr

• Proposed as answer by pwnkmr Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:13 PM