Shared document open in Word 2003 & 2007 at the same time RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation where one user, running Word 2007, and another user, running Word 2003, are able to open the same document on a shared volume and make changes at the same time. Obviously this causes problems. I was under the impression that the presence of an owner file should prevent this. Both users are expecting to see the "read-only" message at appropriate times, and when they don't see it, they assume they're safe to edit, but that hasn't been the case. According to them, the problem started at the same time the machine running Word 2007 was installed (prior to that, they were both running 2003). Anyone have an idea what's going on?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:39 PM

Answers

• Well, I seem to have solved the problem, although I'm still confused as to why it was a problem. I think we can safely say it's not a Word problem, however. Sorry for posting in that forum, but initial indicators were Word related.

User7's Library folder noted above (J:\dir\ in my example) was set up to synchronize with the server via the Offline Files function (this is the default setting). After disabling Offline Files and rebooting, everything seems to be working as expected.

Again, Offline Files is on by default in Windows 7, so this failure in functionality is baffling to me. Without Offline Files enabled, users commonly can't index files on network shares. Fortunately, I had set up indexing on the server side some time ago, so disabling Offline Files was an option here. For many it might not be. If anyone has any insights, I'd appreciate knowing more about this issue.

• Marked as answer by teQ Harbor Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the problem only affect certain document, this document might corrupted, please create a new document test if it works.

If the problem affect Word program with all documents, and they install multiple version of Word, please complete uninstall Office 2007, and then repair Office 2003.

Uninstall Microsoft Office 2007 suites with Microsoft Fix it:
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9669698

"How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2007 suites"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

You may also creat a new network shared folder and configure permission test this issue.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Update: It's possible this isn't a Word problem, although that's still unclear to me. Here's some more detail with some interesting test results:

User7 is running Windows 7 with Word 2007. UserXP is running Windows XP SP 3 with Word 2003. I created a test document and put it in the root of the shared network drive on the server (drive J:). When User7 opens J:\Test.doc and UserXP then opens the same file, the "read only" message occurs, just as expected and desired.

However... I took the same test document and copied it to the appropriate directories where the problems are occurring, so I have the following test files:

J:\dir\TestC.doc
    J:\dir\subdir\TestB.doc
    J:\dir\subdir\subsubdir\TestA.doc

When User7 opens any of those files first, UserXP can also open them with no "read only" message.

There are owner files present in all three cases, and they all list "User7" as the owner of the open document, which is correct since User7 opened them first.

As a further test, I had User7 keep all three documents open, then had UserXP close two of them. Now UserXP only has TestC.doc open, while User7 still has all three open. When I go to a third station running Word 2003, I find that I only get the "read only" message on TestC.doc (the one open by both users); the other two documents open as though User7 doesn't already have them open. Owner files are still present for all three test documents.

Further confusing the issue is that "Manage Open Files" on the server (Windows Server 2008) only shows J:\dir\TestC.doc as open. The other documents that are open by User7 do not show up as open on the server side.

J:\dir\ and its subdirectories are part of User7's Documents Library under Windows 7. That's the only difference I can see between J:\Test.doc (which worked as expected) and J:\dir\TestC.doc (which doesn't). NTFS permissions are the same for the two users in all locations (Modify).

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Well, I seem to have solved the problem, although I'm still confused as to why it was a problem. I think we can safely say it's not a Word problem, however. Sorry for posting in that forum, but initial indicators were Word related.

User7's Library folder noted above (J:\dir\ in my example) was set up to synchronize with the server via the Offline Files function (this is the default setting). After disabling Offline Files and rebooting, everything seems to be working as expected.

Again, Offline Files is on by default in Windows 7, so this failure in functionality is baffling to me. Without Offline Files enabled, users commonly can't index files on network shares. Fortunately, I had set up indexing on the server side some time ago, so disabling Offline Files was an option here. For many it might not be. If anyone has any insights, I'd appreciate knowing more about this issue.

• Marked as answer by teQ Harbor Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Hi,
    I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue.
    Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:10 AM