none
Annoying bug in the GUI of the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security RRS feed

• Question

• We manage the firewalls on our Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 systems with Group Policy. For some rules (like File & Printer Sharing and Remote Assistance) we restrict the scope to specific Remote Addresses. Unfortunately there isn't any integration between AD Sites & Services and the Windows Firewall so we have to specify seperate subnets. We have a lot of subnets and when we specify the 17th subnet it isn't visible in the GUI anymore. By this I mean you click on the rule, double click the column 'Remote Address' to see all subnets and then the GUI shows only 16 subnets! If we click on the properties of the rule and go to the tab 'Scope' that 17th subnet (and more) is visible.

It look like all settings are being applied so it's only a bug in the GUI, but a very annoying one :-(

This happens on the Firewall GUI on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 and both are fully patched. Is there a hotfix for this?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Roel,

I can reproduce this problem in my lab. It seems a character limit in Microsoft Management Console. So far, there is no hotfix for it. Currently, please use the Scope tab to check the subnets as a workaround.

We will track this problem. Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, October 17, 2011 2:25 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Roel,

I can reproduce this problem in my lab. It seems a character limit in Microsoft Management Console. So far, there is no hotfix for it. Currently, please use the Scope tab to check the subnets as a workaround.

We will track this problem. Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, October 17, 2011 2:25 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback Bruce! I'll stick to the Scope tab until an updated MMC is available.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 6:46 AM