Windows Vista freezes too much and takes for ever to restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have a serious problem with my Windows Vista Home Premium. It freezes too much and I have to restart it the old way (press the shut down button on the computer case which makes it start with Safe Mode) If I leave it too long (few hours) whitout using it, it freezes. One more problem, when I restart, it takes from 15 to 20 minutes to restart.

Intel CORE 2 DUO
    1GB of RAM
    320 GB HD
    256 MB NVIDIA e-GeForce 7300 GS graphics card

My best regards and I appreciate any help from you.

Gilligan
    Friday, August 3, 2007 5:45 PM

All replies

•  

Gilligan I'm having the same problem man with the same thing. I'm still occasionally experiencing the same thing. My computer is only 4 and 1/2 months old. What is your computer hp?
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay and also to know that you have the same problem as me. I was soo piussed off that I completely formatted the HD and reinstalled the whole system and now everything is ok.

Gilligan
    Friday, August 10, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Me too! I just bought the HP laptop 2 weeks ago, what the hell! I finally transfered all my media and set it up the way I like it and now I have to look into returning it ...gah!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:21 PM
  •  

in most cases, it is the programs running in the background, that cause vista to freeze on-n-off. you've also mentioned that it takes 15 mins to startup. woah ! thats a lot of time now ! i suggest you remove unwanted startups and even unwanted programs for that matter. if you have bought an oem pre-installed vista machine, u in all probability also have a lot of crapware installed. use PC DeCrapifier to remove such craplets. To remove /disable startups run msconfig or use a simple freeware like WinPatrol. Do also run freeware CCleaner, afterwards, to clean up residual pc junk.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Have any of you installed these 2 patches?  KB938194 and KB938979.  Both deal with hardware, crashes, inability to reconize and use certain hardware.  I installed both of these a week ago and most if not all my crashes, freezes, my system was experiancing have stopped completely.  The system is much quicker in all respects and it does not have any problems coming out of the hybred sleep that Vista has, I would suggest giving them a try.

Glenn

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Download links for the KBs ganicholson was refering to...

Released August 8th 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979/en-us

Released August 9th 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194/en-us

Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:26 AM
  • I've experienced similar lock-ups with Vista Ultimate, and yes, I installed both of those patches as soon as they were officially released by Microsoft - no significant change has been observed.  The only apparent difference is that the Raid array is not being verified [2 hours +] each time I have to shutdown hard.

My system is fairly straightforward: Intel D975XBX2 motherboard [latest bios] with an Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo installed.  The only other hardware is an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro - 512 MB graphics card.  Suspecting a driver issue, I have tried 3 different version of the ATI drivers, with little effect.  I do run CA Antivirus and Sunbelt CounterSpy but not much else and certainly no gaming or exotic software.  Last night the machine froze while running the Vista photo screen saver.  It drives me nuts, and in that regards, I'm obvious not alone.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:07 PM
  • Are you running an ATI Catalyst driver 7.6 or higher? If not try installing that.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Yep, currently on the latest, 7.8 software.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:27 PM
  • That's another problem I'm having sometimes not always the computer will be at the compaq screen and will just not do anything for a while. I press ctrl alt and delete to reboot and then it works fine. I like vista's features. But I hate vista completely!!!

Friday, August 24, 2007 7:14 PM