none
Offline Media creation Fails If Split WIM is attempted RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create offline media using MDT 2013 update 2 and the 1511 ADK from a Windows 10 1511 workstation.

When I create offline media with default settings it works, but makes WIM file too bug for UEFI boot.

I then edited the settings.ini to skipsplitwim = true.  It started splitting the WIM and then it failed with an error stating "Could not find file" with path to the wim file.  The wim file does have the .wim file extension as part of the file name.

What could cause this issue?

Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:39 AM

Answers

• make sure your Selection Profile for your media does not include an OS you no longer have in your Operating Systems folder.
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:03 PM

All replies

• Have you looked at the top related threads?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:59 AM
  • Have you looked at the top related threads?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Yes, and it said to add .wim to the file name and I posted in the last sentence that I already had the file named with the .wim extension.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:01 AM
  • Starting MDT Media Update
    Opened the media deployment share.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Could not find file 'C:\CompanyDeployment\Operating Systems\HPComputerWindows81Prox64\W81Prox64.wim'. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\CompanyDeployment\Operating Systems\HPComputerWindowsW81Prox64\W81Prox64.wim'.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileInfo.get_Length()
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.GenerateMDTMedia.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.GenerateMediaProgress.WizardProcessing()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.WizardProgress.InitiateWizardProcessing()
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:23 AM
  • I tried copying all the files to a server and recreating the deployment share.  I also disabled the AV while creating the offline media and it still fails after attempting to spit the WIM with the same error about not being able to find the file.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Are there multiple indexes in the WIM?

Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:48 PM
  • I don't think there is more than 1 index.  How can I verify?

Either way, the wim does successfully split when I use manual DISM commands, but it fails when the wim attempts to split through the Update Media Content GUI.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:56 PM
    • Check .\operating systems folder in your deployment share. Make sure your wim is actually there. When a split fails sometimes you are just left with the .swm files.
    • - Check your .\control\operatingsystems.xml file in the deploymentfolder to make sure every looks ok, specifically the <imagefile>

Hope that helps.

Dave

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Yes, that's all there.  If I edit the settings.xml to skip splitting the wim, the media is successfully created.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Does anyone have any other ideas to make this work properly?

Otherwise, if I just manually spit the wim with DISM, how can I make the offline boot media work so it successfully uses he new split files instead of trying to find the original wim file? 

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:27 PM
  • This may seem stupid, but have you tried shortening the path to your wim.

Instead of:  C:\CompanyDeployment\Operating Systems\HPComputerWindows81Prox64\W81Prox64.wim

Try: C:\CompanyDeployment\Operating Systems\HP\W81Prox64.wim

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:20 PM
  • I just tried a shorter path and it still fails with the same error part way through splitting the wim.

"System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file"

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Most likely your WIM file is corrupted.

Please do a quick dump of the file and verify all streams are accurate.

dism /get-wiminfo "/WimFile:C:\CompanyDeployment\Operating Systems\HPComputerWindows81Prox64\W81Prox64.wim"

If you have more than one stream, recreate the image from scratch, or remove the other stream.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:37 AM
  • wim file is not corrupted.  It works fine when not spit and it splits fine when split via manual dism commands.

It only fails when it is split via the offline media GUI.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:39 AM
  • wim file is not corrupted.  It works fine when not spit and it splits fine when split via manual dism commands.

Prove it. 

Show me the output as I asked above.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:41 AM
  • make sure your Selection Profile for your media does not include an OS you no longer have in your Operating Systems folder.
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:03 PM
    That was the issue.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

I am encountering the exact same issue but I can't see any other OS in my selection profile.

Indeed I'm not sure to understand the meaning of "make sure your Selection Profile for your media does not include an OS you no longer have in your Operating Systems folder": selection profiles contain folders, not files, so no other OS in my OS folder means my Selection Profile does not include an OS I no longer have, right?

I created a thread to explain my issue, I would be really grateful if you could have a look at it:

SplitWim option makes Media creation fails: Could not find file

Viadeo: Mathieu Ait Azzouzene | Linkedin: Mathieu Ait Azzouzene

Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

Don't know if this will help but had the same issue and found a resolution.

control\settings.xml - <SkipWimSplit>False</SkipWimSplit>
    Wim file must be named in deployment share description as <wimfilename.wim>
    os wim must be in ROOT of deployment share 'Operating Systems' (not in sub-folder)

The last item was my issue as I had my deployment wim in a sub-folder 'Windows 10'

Monday, June 19, 2017 12:23 PM