none
VBA Methods for managing dependencies on deliveries RRS feed

• Question

• When manipulating a schedule that has dependencies on another project's deliverables, you can see the dependencies from Collaborate > Manage Dependencies on Deliverables.

What is the VBA method to use which will do the same things as the 'Get updates' link which appears at the bottom? And if there are updates, a 'Accept all server changes' link appears. Which VBA method is that? We want to automate those two steps.

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:00 PM

Answers

• jkormann,

I think that pretty much answers your question. If you can't record a macro for those operations, then most likely those operations are not exposed in Project's object model. However, since this is a Project Server related question, you could try posting to the project customization and programming forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads. If you do, please make a reference to this post and thread so whomever might answer in that forum will have a little background.

John

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:25 PM
  • the project object has a whole series of methods for creating, deleting and editing deliverables. Type Activeproject.Deliverable and the intellisense will pop up the list of deliverable related methods on the project object.

Also see Chris Boyds blog post for some supporting info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project_programmability/archive/2007/02/19/working-with-deliverables.aspx

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• On the Task Object there is a collection called TaskDependencies. There you can add, remove and edit TaskDependency objects.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:20 PM
  • jkormann,

The best way to get the syntax you want is to record a macro while running through the steps. Then examine the recorded code and tweak it as necessary. Recorded code always uses foreground processing (i.e. direct selection of objects) and is specific to a given object. Code that runs using background processing, (i.e. directly acting on objects), is usually faster, more efficient and is not locked into a specific object since it normally is written to operate in a loop.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:29 PM
  • John, for some reason these functions do not show as macro steps. I tried a couple of times.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Brian,

The methods you mention are specific to a task. These dependencies in the list that I mention are associated into the current opened project and may not be linked to a task, possibly through user error.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:08 PM
  • jkormann,

I think that pretty much answers your question. If you can't record a macro for those operations, then most likely those operations are not exposed in Project's object model. However, since this is a Project Server related question, you could try posting to the project customization and programming forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads. If you do, please make a reference to this post and thread so whomever might answer in that forum will have a little background.

John

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:25 PM
  • the project object has a whole series of methods for creating, deleting and editing deliverables. Type Activeproject.Deliverable and the intellisense will pop up the list of deliverable related methods on the project object.

Also see Chris Boyds blog post for some supporting info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project_programmability/archive/2007/02/19/working-with-deliverables.aspx

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:33 PM
  • In the VBE press F2 to display the Object Browser. Type Deliverable into the search field and press Enter. You'll then see all methods and properties with Deliverable in them. Select one and press F1 and hopefully help comes up for it!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:29 AM