mail merging isolated data from excel to word RRS feed

• Question

• In excel I have about 3,000 contacts. I want to mail merge only about 40 of them which i've isolated using the data base filter. Every time I try to mail merge them in word it creates labels for all 3,000. How do I isolate those 40 and merge them over to word?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Kangaroo2,

Alternatively, if you add an extra field (column) to your Excel workbook, with a header named, say, 'Output' into which you input a value (eg 'Y') to indicate that it should be output, you can use that field's value in a SKIPIF field in Word to filter the data. The SKIPIF field could then be coded along the lines of:

{SKIPIF {MERGEFIELD Output \* Upper} <> "Y*"}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message. The '\* Upper' switch allows for the possibility that uper or lower case 'Y' characters might have been input in Excel, and the "Y*" allows for the possiblity that someone might have input 'Yes', etc. in Excel.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:57 AM

All replies

• Office 2007

Instead of doing the isolation of data in EXCEL do the isolation of the data in the Mail Merge Recipients window (part of the Mail Merge Wizard process).

If you do this I think you will get the data coming across successfully (I have just run a test with a small set of data and it works OK).

If my comments have asssisted please Vote As Helpful.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Hi Kangaroo2,

Alternatively, if you add an extra field (column) to your Excel workbook, with a header named, say, 'Output' into which you input a value (eg 'Y') to indicate that it should be output, you can use that field's value in a SKIPIF field in Word to filter the data. The SKIPIF field could then be coded along the lines of:

{SKIPIF {MERGEFIELD Output \* Upper} <> "Y*"}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message. The '\* Upper' switch allows for the possibility that uper or lower case 'Y' characters might have been input in Excel, and the "Y*" allows for the possiblity that someone might have input 'Yes', etc. in Excel.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:57 AM