no port 80 folder? and different port # than central admin folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks-

I installed Sharepoint 2010 Foundation and SP1.

I created a new server farm and did a complete install leveraging the SQL Server 2010 EE R2 instance on the same server.

Issue: there is no port 80 folder under wwwroot/vwss/virtualdirectories.  

Also, there is only one folder in that directory named 45699 and that is not the port number for the admin console which designated 9877 (http) during the install.

Shouldn't there be a port 80 folder, and shouldn't the port directory number match the admin console port #. I have not configured any new sites, just installed foundation in farm mode and that is it.

I did see an option to create a site right when I installed, but since then - now when I try to view the Sharepoint Central Admin site I get a 'An unexpected error occurred"... 

Thanks for any insight!

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No the port number will not match the CA Folder Name beneath C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\45699 for the CA unless you use 45699 when configuring the CA and you would only have C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80 if you create a Web App on Port 80 NOT using a Host Header. If you use a Host Header to allow multiple sites to run on Port 80 then the folder name will match the Host Header

• EXAMPLE Host Header "MyWebApp" then C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\MyWebApp
    • EXAMPLE Host Header "MyWebApp80" then C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\MyWebApp80
    • EXAMPLE Host Header "" then C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you cant get to CA you can un-provision and re-provision the CA without affecting anything else.

psconfig.exe -cmd adminvs -unprovision
    psconfig.exe -cmd adminvs -provision -port 2010 -windowsauthprovider onlyusentlm

After you get to the CA you can create a new site on port 80. But you probably want to run the configuration wizard from CA first, since you haven't setup a lot of SharePoint environments previously.

-Ivan

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try that.  Would you answer my question though on directories?  Should there be a folder for port 80, and should another folder be named the same as the actually CA port?
    Monday, September 24, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Osho27,

Please open the IIS configuration manager and see if there is "Default Site" with locked mode.

If it is not SharePoint configuration need to be run successfully.

Check your installation account[usually farm account] coincide with your SQL Server 's.

Murugesa Pandian.,MCTS|App.Devleopment|Configure

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:53 AM
  • Hi,

No the port number will not match the CA Folder Name beneath C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\45699 for the CA unless you use 45699 when configuring the CA and you would only have C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80 if you create a Web App on Port 80 NOT using a Host Header. If you use a Host Header to allow multiple sites to run on Port 80 then the folder name will match the Host Header

• EXAMPLE Host Header "MyWebApp" then C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\MyWebApp
    • EXAMPLE Host Header "MyWebApp80" then C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\MyWebApp80
    • EXAMPLE Host Header "" then C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80

-Ivan

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:11 AM